Little Giant Hatch Along

Quote:
Ya!
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif
Now the hard part, Waiting
smile.png

Quote:
Does anyone have an answer to this?! I'm getting really nervous! I don't think it's turning, what should I do?

I've heard of the motor stripping from the weight, but I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you. The only think I can think of is to get another turner or slide something under one end of the bator to tilt it, and switch sides three times a day.

I decided that must be what happened, I was hearing some clicking periodically, which does sound like exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately, they were tilted far to the right. I've been sticking a thick book (3" or 4") under each side, alternating. About to go home at lunch and switch it again. (Needs to be done 3x a day, right?) Will this work since the turner is stuck tilted? Should I tilt the incubator back & forth rather than left and right? I'd prefer to leave the eggs in the turner, even if it's not turning, so they don't roll about and such.

Also, if the motor was stripped, they had been in the incubator about 24-36 hours without being turned. Will they be ok?

Last edited:
Lockdown tom. for me!!! I just took the egg turner out and put my cut up little cartons in there, I hope this helps with them hatching, this is only my 2nd hatch, my 1st hatch I think the humidity was to high and they couldnt get out, only 2 hatched, about 5 shrink wrapped, the others didnt have the yolk absorbed. Fingers crossed!!!!
fl.gif

Quote:
I've heard of the motor stripping from the weight, but I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you. The only think I can think of is to get another turner or slide something under one end of the bator to tilt it, and switch sides three times a day.

I decided that must be what happened, I was hearing some clicking periodically, which does sound like exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately, they were tilted far to the right. I've been sticking a thick book (3" or 4") under each side, alternating. About to go home at lunch and switch it again. (Needs to be done 3x a day, right?) Will this work since the turner is stuck tilted? Should I tilt the incubator back & forth rather than left and right? I'd prefer to leave the eggs in the turner, even if it's not turning, so they don't roll about and such.

Also, if the motor was stripped, they had been in the incubator about 24-36 hours without being turned. Will they be ok?

Before you give up on it, make sure that the little doohickey didn't just slip from the track. I've heard of it popping out of place and if it did that then all you need to do is put it back in.
Don't worry, they'll be fine. I don't even plug my turner in till the third day with shipped eggs.

Quote:
You can gently tape it straight using a very light piece of wood, balsa wood maybe, or a toothpick?
Or a coffee stirrer, something like that, as a splint, and cloth tape to secure it. I have never tried this, but if you don't, the toe will likely remain that way...we have a rooster with a deformed toe, that was what happened to him. Not that he can't use it...he's fine with it...but it should've been splinted, it might have helped.

I was nervous last night about my first chicks toes, but they straightened out overnight! thank goodness! Now the big news.........baby #2 pipped, zipped and hatched in under an hour!!!!
woot.gif

22 left!!!

Quote:
I'm hatching my first batch soon. I'm on day 7... When you say the humidity was too high for them to get out, what did you mean? And what do you mean by shrink wrapped? And what do you mean about not having the yolk absorbed? AGGHH!!! i didn't realize there were so many factors involved! A preschool class is hatching them and I don't want there to be some gory scene for them that freaks them out!

Back
Top Bottom