Little Giant Hatch Along

Quote:
Thats awesome Josie
smile.png
welcome-byc.gif

Glad to have you join us ......this is very addicting and before you know it you will have hatched 100 bunches
smile.png

Quote:
Sorry to hear you had a bum hatch and hope your future hatches will be better.
hugs.gif

Did you use a sponge or green brillow pad? those will work just lightly brush the yucky stuff away without scraping or scratching the foam of the incubator.

Here is what I do when cleaning my Bator:

For cleaning we take ours out into the back yard give it a good hard spray, then mix a few parts bleach with water in a big spray bottle soak the incubator down with that and let it sun dry. We do this after each hatch then start again, we only clean out the bottom part, the wire mesh, and all the thermometers where the eggs will touch.

On the table we leaving the top part on we never unplug it, then take the bottom part out for cleaning, so we don't have to touch any of the settings.
We re calibrate the thermometers after each hatch to start new.

ON as in not turning it off but not ON The bottom part of the incubator while cleaning it
smile.png
LOL sorry if this confused anyone!

The egg turner really don't have to be cleaned out but if your worried about that one you can take a rag or baby wipe or paper towel and mix your own solution and damp wipe all the little trays don't need to soak or submerge into water cause you don't want to break the motor.

A little Update on my hatch:

My chicks were not due to hatch until the 10th and look here what is going on I don't get it........the little turds decided to come early
idunno.gif

56092_0506170836.jpg

I don't even have water in there ........how can they pip or even zip without humidity up its only 43 % in there.
56092_0506170954.jpg

I put them in on the 20th of April , if I go by others rules, then Sunday would be day 19,

But according to my chicks they think today is day 18 its so strange......I still had them in the egg turner we didn't even make it to lock down usually I switch them over to the hatcher and I didn't even get to do that. This is the second time this has happen to me.

Last edited:
4 are out, but I have a problem, the egg turner is in there still I turned it off, and now the windows are fogged up not dripping but still fogged do i or do I not open the bator and take these guys out ............should I just leave them. They didn't give me a chance to move them over for lock down to the hatcher.

Ugh what a mess.....

I'd leave them for now. I've seen a lot of pics on here with chicks that hatch with the egg turner in place. Not the optimum, but what do you do. Since it is off it should be even less of a problem. Even if it was on a snail could get out of the way.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have left them be not even going to sit over them lol...... I am in the living room and they are in the bed room temps are holding steady.

we have 4 more pips I don't want to risk shrink wrap chicks but the 4 are running around I think what I was worried bout most was them being up so high and possibly touching one of the hot Elements or even getting over heated.

Quote:
I have left them be not even going to sit over them lol...... I am in the living room and they are in the bed room temps are holding steady.

we have 4 more pips I don't want to risk shrink wrap chicks but the 4 are running around I think what I was worried bout most was them being up so high and possibly touching one of the hot Elements or even getting over heated.

You can pop the window and statch a couple of chicks at a time. You can always have a water bottle ready with warm water and mist after you grab the chicks out. I have read where their little legs can go through the holes in the turner and get injured. That would be my biggest concern plus the heating elements.

What is your humidity running? Usuallly it goes up when they are hatching.....maybe there would not be much of a drop in humidity if you were ready to mist them when you opened the little window.

Quote:

You can pop the window and statch a couple of chicks at a time. You can always have a water bottle ready with warm water and mist after you grab the chicks out. I have read where their little legs can go through the holes in the turner and get injured. That would be my biggest concern plus the heating elements.

What is your humidity running? Usuallly it goes up when they are hatching.....maybe there would not be much of a drop in humidity if you were ready to mist them when you opened the little window.

I didn't get a chance to do lock down so I don't know what the humidity is in there they hatched out too early I had 0 water in the bator cause I like to do dry incubation, well after I realized I had chicks coming out was when I put a straw in through the vent hole to add water when I went back to check there was 4 chicks out only I couldn't see to well cause the windows was fogged up all I could see was dark blurs.

Went back later on that night we had 10 chicks out, so I quickly took those out but they had been in there running around or should I say stumbling around for a few hours.

They was bumping their heads on the fan and elements so I decided to finally take them all out.

Now we have a total of 18 chicks out and 4 inside the bator and and we have 10 more to pip ....but...10 other eggs were not fertile and by day 15 those 10 were still very clear not even a spot just nothingness......so I took those out the day I did my candling tossed them.......but 32 is enough chicks
smile.png

56092_0507163949.jpg

Here are the 18
smile.png

So if all goes well I will have 32 chicks ..........

Last edited:
Set 18 more eggs on the 5th of May, 13 BLRW, and some Frizzled Cochrins, and some Light Sussex. I paid for these eggs, so I hope they do better than the 25% I got last time. I think I heard the bell for round two, so let the games begin!!

Quote:

I didn't get a chance to do lock down so I don't know what the humidity is in there they hatched out too early I had 0 water in the bator cause I like to do dry incubation, well after I realized I had chicks coming out was when I put a straw in through the vent hole to add water when I went back to check there was 4 chicks out only I couldn't see to well cause the windows was fogged up all I could see was dark blurs.

Went back later on that night we had 10 chicks out, so I quickly took those out but they had been in there running around or should I say stumbling around for a few hours.

They was bumping their heads on the fan and elements so I decided to finally take them all out.

Now we have a total of 18 chicks out and 4 inside the bator and and we have 10 more to pip ....but...10 other eggs were not fertile and by day 15 those 10 were still very clear not even a spot just nothingness......so I took those out the day I did my candling tossed them.......but 32 is enough chicks
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/56092_0507163949.jpg
Here are the 18
smile.png

So if all goes well I will have 32 chicks ..........

You are having a GREAT hatch! I am sitting here with 10 or 11 pipped. Everytime I count it is different! Lots of peeping going on so should have something happening soon. I have 40 eggs in the incubator so am going to have to do some snatching at some point. Your chicks are so cute. What are the gray looking ones?

Hi everyone!!! Happy Mothers Day to you all (to you that are mother's!!) Either of humans or Baby Chicks!!!
big_smile.png
Sounds like you have had an exciting one StormyMoon!! And we will be watching for your next hatch you just set, clayb226! I have a bit of sad news
sad.png
one of my chicks died this eve. We don't know what happened. My DD and grandchildren were looking at them and there was a small commotion in the corner of the brooder, and this chick came kinda stumbling out and peeping and breathing kinda hard with his beak open. every few minutes he would kinda jump up like something hurt, he did that for a couple of hours. When my dh came in to check on him and he was gone. So I'm down to six now. Still have 5 in the bator, but tomorrow is day 24 and I'm pretty sure they aren't good. No pips or cheeps. It sure was a wild ride though!! Think I'm gonna wait awhile to set more. I have 25 (split with friend) coming the 23rd and found clutch of eggs in the greenhouse and another one in the barn again. We are just going to leave them this time to see if the hens will hatch any out. I've been wanting a broody, but I wish they would brood in the henhouse and not all over,
rant.gif
out where there could be predators. I'm trying to figure out how to move them and the eggs without them losing their broodiness!
hu.gif
Well you all have a great day tomorrow!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom