1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkie-Feet, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Model 9200 (Manual controls)

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Model 9300 (Digital controls)

30 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm going to jump into this conversation, if I may. From my lurking around, what I'm reading, is that Silkies are notorious for hatching and overall health problems. Bantams tend to hatch before LF, and smaller eggs tend to hatch before larger eggs. Did the last 2 Silkies not even pip? One could argue that if they pipped early, before lock down, it might have been too dry for them, (causing the shrink wrapping) but that does not appear to be the case. And we know that Amy keeps her humidity high at lock down, so I'm led to believe that these particular chicks are prone to hatching problems.

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    And that is probably the case. I have never incubated silkie eggs, no need to, but the hens hatch healthy chicks. I was in no way saying that Amy did anything wrong. I'm curious about incubating small and large eggs together, because it is looking like I will be getting a larger incubator soon, and will have d'uccle to throw into the mix. I have hatched them with Polish, and the hatch times are about the same, but the cuckoo marans eggs are much larger, darker, and usually hatch a day later. I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to run the marans and d'uccle together

3. fiset94

fiset94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012

Great.. I had high hope that if I got these Air Cells straightened out that my first chicks to EVER hatch would be these silkie eggs. [​IMG]

Well... if I can get these little fuzzy butts to hatch... then anyone can! [​IMG]

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would not hesitate to put large and small eggs together in the same bator. What about starting your large eggs a day before the banty eggs?

5. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Sssssshhhhhh....
    That's how I'm trying to convince my wife that I need another incubator[​IMG]

6. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I wouldn't worry, that is the first I have ever heard of that. Not saying it isn't true, but my hens always hatch 75-80% of their eggs, and I have never, ever, had one health issue with the chicks. Once you get a hen, the only problem will be trying to get her not to brood. I never have to incubate those eggs, and sell the hens to people who want them just to hatch other eggs

7. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop

Hahahahahahah! ;?

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia

Lmao!

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's not still air....did you miss the drama of one of my chicks getting scalped on the fan....lol I felt so bad. No my sister had added the fan kit before I "borrowed" the bator...lol My temps on the outside were 1-2 degrees higher than the middle and both thermometers were off set between the perimenter and middle so where they were held a good 99 range, but what I didn't know until halfway through was the eggs to the outside were incubating a good degree higher. A good share of them were pushed to the outside because I wanted to see them and well, you can't see the middle of the lg incubators, so .... that's when I started rotating the eggs.

The silkies....the only logical conclusion I could come to was egg/layer quality. When I had arranged to buy the eggs, I wanted a dozen spitzhaubens and 2 dozen mixed. (She has over 140 chickens in different pens.) But I wanted as many of the mixed to be from the silkie pen as possible because they have a showgirl roo in there, and that's ultimately what I want. Apparently silkies in this part of the world do not like to lay when it's cold. The girl I was originally supposed to get eggs from (with multiple show girls) had to cancel because hers were not laying either. Well, it turns out in the week she was collecting she only managed to get 3 from the silkies. So I was thinking maybe the cold weather and poor laying had something to do with it?

My two Japanese bantams (and they are small) hatched fine. The silkie eggs weren't small at all.

Oh and now I have to find that other thread....lol

10. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/967807/fully-formed-baby-chickens-didnt-hatch#post_15079392
    Lazy Gardner started it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by