Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
I am quite aware that the thermometer isn't causing the temp swing! LOL I was saying that I think that the thermostat is working correctly, just that I need to calibrate the thermometer to make sure that it is reading the correct temperature. Unfortunately, with the kind of thermometer it is, it is not made to be calibrated and therefore I am going today to purchase some thermometers with probes as well as other "old style" thermometers to get a good calibration as well as an accurate reading!

Thanks for the input though!

You can't actually calibrate most thermometers, or hygrometers, but you can test them against a known then record the differences to apply to your readings.

You are exactly right! But as the other thermometer I have at the moment is the cheapie that came with my LG, I am going to purchase some and make an attempt at calibrating them all together and record the variances....It will make it a bit easier to know an exact temp when looking in the bator.

You are exactly right! But as the other thermometer I have at the moment is the cheapie that came with my LG, I am going to purchase some and make an attempt at calibrating them all together and record the variances....It will make it a bit easier to know an exact temp when looking in the bator.
Couple pages back I posted the process I used to test my thermometers and hygrometers.

Another thing you may look at is the layout of your setup.
A perfect example of what it should be, is to look closely at "cmom" setup in post # 945. There you have your light (left) thermostat (center) light (right) and fan blowing directly to over heat source. With that setup you maybe able to lay the eggs at any level (flooring, midway up or upper level) . And still adjust your thermostat for the correct temp according to the location of your eggs inside your incubator.

Many people use water heater thermostats with good success. I was going to use the IncuKit from IncubatorWarehouse.com, but since I was replacing the thermostats in my cabinet, which were wafer thermostats, that was the way I went. I have had many successful hatches. I do think you can calibrate a thermometer close enough for a good hatch. It's not rocket science and yes you do have to pay attention. Just my opinion.

I'm sure they do. But I'm welling to bet that just as many people if not more have trouble with them as well. I'm just a big fan of using the right tool for the right job. And just for a few bucks more you can have the right tool. (IMO)

For someone just starting out I wouldn't try hatching any specialty breed eggs. I would start with barnyard egg. My best layers are my mutts. That is what I did in the beginning. Over time with each hatch I refined my process. In the beginning I borrowed a styrofoam incubator from a friend. My friend gave me the styrofoam cooler which I converted to a coolerbator. Since, I kept my eyes open and bought another styrofoam incubator then another as then I decided to do staggered hatches. I eventually bought a used cabinet incubator that was priced right and in good condition and then I came across another cabinet that wasn't in as good as condition and cheep but had an electronic thermostat in it. I did a little work on the second one and sold it, as I discovered I really didn't need two cabinet incubators. Then I bought an electronic thermostat for the cabinet incubator I kept and used the wafer thermostats. Now I use my cabinet incubator to incubate in and my styrofoams for hatching. I use my coolerbater the most as a hatcher as it holds the most eggs and I get very good hatches with it. I do use my LG's. My least favorite are my Hova-Bators. They fluctuate more as far as the temperature goes.

For the first hatches I am going to be hatching just that....my barnyard mutts! I hope to refine and refine and have good hatch rates by summer, as I have some Japanese Bantams and would like to hatch their eggs out!

I think I have the temp adjustment on the thermostat at just about perfect! It cuts off at 101 and on at 99 and that is measuring with 2 thermometers (digital) as well as an old mercury thermometer in at least 3 different places.

My plan for this first hatch is to incubate AND hatch in the LG. After that and the test run, I plan to incubate in the coolerbator and hatch in the LG. As my production increases and more hatches are needed, I intent to build a cabinet incubator. I will post more pictures later.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom