Little Giant incubator

Fallenone05

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2015
SE Oklahoma
A gentleman is selling me his 42 egg Little Giant incubator with an Autoturner and fan. I'm curious about reviews on it since I've never used one. Any tips as well would be greatly appreciated! I currently have a Brinsea Mini 2 Advance that only holds 7 eggs so this is a big jump for me.

I used one before and didn't like it. The temperature jumped around a lot, and it was far from accurate. I was using shipped eggs so that might have been an issue, but I never had a successful hatch in it. I would highly suggest a Nurture Right 360. They're amazing! Fool proof, and the gauges are very accurate. Easy to see into the bator which I didn't like about the Little Giant. I always found myself turning the bator to try to see better.
Go for the NR, a but more expensive than a used LG, but very worth it.

A gentleman is selling me his 42 egg Little Giant incubator with an Autoturner and fan. I'm curious about reviews on it since I've never used one. Any tips as well would be greatly appreciated! I currently have a Brinsea Mini 2 Advance that only holds 7 eggs so this is a big jump for me.
For how much?

Do you know how to calibrate thermometers?
Do you have a humidity gauge you consult test?
Do you have a stable temp room in your house to put the incubator?
Are you observant?

For how much?
$65.

Do you know how to calibrate thermometers?
Do you have a humidity gauge you consult test?
Do you have a stable temp room in your house to put the incubator?
Are you observant?

I have a digital hygrometer/thermometer combo that I've used in the Brinsea. The temp on it always reads a degree or two cooler than what it should be, so I need to find a standard version of both. I know for hygrometers you generally calibrate them with salt. Never calibrated a thermometer before, but googling is easy to do to find out how.

But yes, I'm observant, especially with incubators. It's my fault if they mess up and that's a living creature in there, soooo.

I've never used a Little Giant but a lot of chicks have been hatched with them. You have a turner and a fan, that makes life easier. The LG is likely to be more hands-on than your Brinsea. If you don't have a users manual you might want to find one online and print it off.

Most online calibration methods for thermometers checks them at freezing and boiling. That's not where we use them, incubation temperature is around body temperature. They can be hard to find with all the new no touch or touch incubators but I use an old fashion human temperature medical thermometer to calibrate with. Those are already calibrated but only show you the high temperature. I don't trust the new type to be that accurate.

I shake the medical thermometer down then put it in the incubator with the one you are calibrating. See what the differences are in reading. If yours is adjustable then adjust and try again. If it's not adjustable note whether you have to add or subtract from the reading.

I used one before and didn't like it. The temperature jumped around a lot, and it was far from accurate. I was using shipped eggs so that might have been an issue, but I never had a successful hatch in it. I would highly suggest a Nurture Right 360. They're amazing! Fool proof, and the gauges are very accurate. Easy to see into the bator which I didn't like about the Little Giant. I always found myself turning the bator to try to see better.
Go for the NR, a but more expensive than a used LG, but very worth it.

Thank you!! I appreciate the honesty. I'm a little nervous about it since I've never used one and I dread the idea of, well, killing a bunch of eggs 🥴.

I've heard a lot of good things about NR360s though! I'll have to look into them and try to get one next year.

OMG I MJST GOT THAT ONE! Get an extra thermometer, this is the one I have and it’s really good so far. I’m seeing the veins already and all 10 (the other 5 were put in yesterday) and the incubator is actually reallly good So far. Hope this helped and good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/IncuTherm-Di...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Update!
Had it plugged in for a few days with a thermometer to gage temperature. I have two different thermometers in there, just to compare.

So far, all 12 eggs are developing and it's almost hatch day! It was 2 weeks/14 days on 2/25 this month.

Back
Top Bottom