Little Giant Still Incubator Thread!!!

Quote:
That's my experience and I'll drop kick mine into next week when my homemade cabinet is done. In my case it was given to me by a friend.(with friends like that, who needs enemies?)

That said, from the responses on this thread and all the others on the same topic, I believe it is the poor quality thermostat that's the problem. If some people have good success and others can't regulate the temp, that tells me the design/quality control of the thermostat is at fault. Some work, some don't.

The last time I used mine I had 30 beautiful penedesenca eggs in it. Themps started to swing uncontrollably. They went from 92-108 several times a day. After a week I gave up when a couple of hens went broody so I put fresh eggs under them. I opened one of the LG eggs just to make sure it was fertile and forgot about the rest. I got busy and forgot to clean the LG out. A couple weeks later, I was in the basement and heard a noise I thought were mice. There were a couple chicks in the incubator. Boiled and chilled, not turned after the first week and two hatched anyway. You just can't kill penedesencas. They're now an 18 week pullet and cockerel. My miracle chicks.

I have a little giant and I havent used it yet but I hope to when my chickens start to lay. I'm still learning about how to use it, so I will probably ask some questions about it this summer. Any tips about it? Thanks.

Rebecca

Quote:
Rebecca . read this thread carefully from the first post. ANd find the other LG threads. Seriously. Many of use use it because it is the most commonly stocked incubator at the feed stores.

Also read Chookschick page on using the LG. She doesn't address humidity and you will need to decide how you will handle this. I personally do a dry incubation and watch the RH and adjust it by adding water or removing water. YOu will will need to monitor the air cell for correct growth rate--VERY IMPORTANT.

Read on. and GL

For Willowbranch and the Lawsons:
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

The Lg still air incubator was my first incubator. I knew nothing about hatching eggs and just new very little about chickens. I had a dear friend teach me the things that her grandfather taught her and along the way found things out for myself. She tought me the basics of incubation however the Lg is kinda tricky. I would say it kinda has a mind of its own..lol The first and most inportant thing is that is it in a room that holds the same temp most of the time. remember this incubator is styrofoam and if the temp has a great decrease or increase it is going to fluctuate. I always used my closet in my bedroom because I never have the closet door open and I like the bedroom a little cooler than the rest of the house so this was the best place. at the bottom of the door if there is a gap get something to block any draft that may go under door. the room should have the ability to be shut off. I set my LG up and walked away for atleast 1/2 of the day. I always started out with warm water in the chambers in the bottom just to start the humidity. If the bator is new in the box then you will have to adjust the temp. but if you have a used one after cleaning it turn it on then leave it alone for a while to stabilize. I purchased a temp and hydrometer from walmart for around $12 it has a long cord that gives you the ability to place it anywhere in the bator. best if placed at the same level as the top part of the eggs. this is your best investment with the lg besides a turner. Mine did not have a fan just so we can make this clear it was a cheap styofoam incubator. pull one plug out when you first turn it on. I always set mine at 100 degrees. if it went to 100.5 I didnt bother it. if it went over I pulled the other plug.... for the first 18 days I didn't tinker with it. I hand turned the eggs 3 times a day from O to X side and made sure there was a little water for moisture at least everyother day and it always leveled out again. I never had any trouble with temp.. I candled on day 7, 10, 14 and 18. on day 18 I took all eggs out along with wire and shoved as many papertowels inside the chambers where the water goes and then placed warm water in the chambers. I sometimes used a little container with water and a small piece of spounge in it for added humidity. (all this time I have the top part of the bator over the eggs so they do not get too cold-trying to move fast) put a few papertowels down for easy cleanup then put eggs back. It was hard to do but I stayed out of the bator the rest of the hatch. if one hatches leave it. the peeps will survive from the yolk they absorbed for 3 days. this seemed to be a criticle time to open this bator. i ran an air hose from a fish tank thru one of the red cap holes down thru the wire to full up the square part of the chamber if needed so it didn't have to be opened. if a peep was close to the edge I would open enought to take it out only if there were no pipes..

I am so sorry I rambled on. I just wanted to share my hatching method. it is very simple and less complicated. my children were always envolved so It had to be easy for them to understand.

I wish you guys good luck and many healthy hatches. just remember if you adjust, just a very small movement on the thermostate then walk away for at least a few hours. I always let mine settle for 3 or 4 days before I put eggs in just to make sure I had everything where it needed to be. again Good Luck!!!
thumbsup.gif

If there is anything I can do to help you guys out let me know. if you come upon a problem I'm sure I have been there a time or two. I think if you are getting started and have the patients to figure out what works for your little lg in your home you will be happy and It will hatch peeps for you for years to come!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Rebecca . read this thread carefully from the first post. ANd find the other LG threads. Seriously. Many of use use it because it is the most commonly stocked incubator at the feed stores.

Also read Chookschick page on using the LG. She doesn't address humidity and you will need to decide how you will handle this. I personally do a dry incubation and watch the RH and adjust it by adding water or removing water. YOu will will need to monitor the air cell for correct growth rate--VERY IMPORTANT.

Read on. and GL

Ok thanks for your help.

What are you using to measure humidity, and have you verified it works? My first hygrometer was faulty, I have also had a few digital ones that were off.

Back
Top Bottom