Little Giant Still Incubator Thread!!!

I just finished using mine for the first time, it was also my first time incubating. I found that it worked very well for me and was easy to use once I purchased a decent hygrometer to keep an eye on the humidity. I did have to throw a wet washcloth over the water wells to boost the humidity at day 18 but it worked out well as 26 of 30 eggs hatched and are happily jumping and running around in my brooder
smile.png

The only thing I would do different is throw down some paper towels in the bottom for easier clean up.

I've used an LG for quite a while. I have had successful hatches every time! The first year that I used it at our new house I made the mistake of starting it out in the mudroom where our coal stove is. I thought that it would be a pretty stable temperature area, but the weather was funky that year, so we kept regulating the stove...so I ended up moving it before I even put eggs in it... I kept it in my bedroom that first year, which was great...until the chickies started hatching in the middle of the night and kept me awake!!! (Although I didn't mind TOO much...they were chickies afterall)

From then on I put the incubator in my basement. Our basement's temp stays pretty consistent. I did have a few days of adjusting the temp before I put eggs in (Black Copper Marons and Ameraucanas this last hatch) just to be sure that it was where it needed to be. Of course the temp dropped when I opened the incubator for egg turning, but I never worried too much. I had like three thermometers in there just because I was paranoid that one (or two) wouldn't work... I think the biggest challenge is always keeping the reservoirs filled up near the end of the hatch...but not too much of a pain, as I use a turkey baster to get the water into the channels quickly...I've always had a great hatch rate...always around 80%...which I consider to be pretty good!

I did get an egg turner for Christmas this year, so will be anxious to try that out this spring. I only hatch once or twice a year, so for me, it is a great unit!

yippiechickie.gif

Little Giant was the incubator I started out with. I wish I had the chance to get to experience hatching in one of the round metal brower, or sears and roebuck incubators. I have heard that they were great incubators. My uncle has one, and had offered it to me, but he has polio, and can't get around very well, and I haven't been able to go to his house to look for it.

Wife and kids got me one for Christmas. Got me a turner with it. Have it running in the basement right now waiting for eggs. Temp has held excellent for about 5 days. Can't really get humidity to stabilize though. Bounces around from 35% to 50% with soaked paper towels in the channels.

Quote:
I recommend not adding water for the first 18 days, and incubate at 20-30%, the last 3 days put a tupperware container in it, and put some shredded cotton T-shirt in the bowl, and soak it with warm water. You may even want 2 tupperware containers. You will want to add a fan to the incubator also, it will help to keep the temperature very even. Here is a picture of how to wire a small 12 volt PC fan to a 12 volt phone charger.
70328_fan_wiring_diagram.jpg

Thanks. It was holding between 20%-25% before I added water. Will this method work for quail or just chickens? I am gonna try some chicken eggs in it first if I can get a hold of some but I have quail and I will be mostly using it for them.

Quote:
Please consider doing a dry incubation where NO water at all is added until Lockdown. Many of us use it and it's easy and stress free! Makes for excellent hatching.

Back
Top Bottom