Little Giant Still Incubator Thread!!!

I only had a problem getting mine regualted - once set it was fine- the only thing i have to say is i didnt have a turner and after i turned the eggs it took a while to warm back up - but i had a pretty good hatch rate- cant complain too much!

I HATE THEM AND LET EVERYONE KNOW IT EVERY CHANCE I GET!
rant.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif

Sorry to yell, I just didn't want anyone to be mistaken about how I feel.
big_smile.png

Short story: I had one, first time incubating. It didn't matter if you had it in a closet, a bedroom, living room, shop, somebody else's house (power went out here one day and had to take it to my dad's), in a conditioned space, and unconditioned space, Antartica or Hell, the temperature would not regulate. Lost all my eggs that I had spent a lot of money on. Plus I was recovering from open heart surgery, so that made it even harder on me as I was up all hours of the day and night trying to keep it right. If I was rich I would have put some sort of computer device in it to give it the highest degree of self awareness, then I would have shot it to make it suffer then burned it in the fire to kill it. But I'm poor so I had to take it back and get a refund.
tongue.png

Shave and a hair cut, two bits.
cool.png

Last edited:
I like mine now, but for the first couple of days was going to return it. I had it running for a few days to try to get the temp to even out, but every time I opened it, the temp would go crazy for a quite a while. DH said not to open it, so I told him to figure out a way to turn the eggs without opening it, or get me something that I didnt have to mess with. So for the egg turning, my husband (who likes to tinker) made a very small hole in the right side wall and put a piece of wire through it that is attached to a pipe that lays across the middle of the incubator. I put the eggs in an egg carton with holes cut in the bottom, and the cups for the eggs straddle the pipe that dh put in there. The egg carton is lifted off the bottom of the bator because of the pipe, and there's a handle on the wire that sticks out, so all i have to do is turn the handle and the egg carton rocks from one side of the pipe to the other. Not a good description, I'm afraid, but like I said, dh is the one who designed the thing. So, I can turn the eggs three times a day without ever opening it and got 7 out of 8 to hatch that way. I think number 8 didnt hatch because I opened it a few times to take the hatchlings out as they dried off. So, that's my fault. I have 12 more in there right now, it's been at 99.5 since I put them in there, and the only time I've opened it was to add a little water for the humidity. Next Sunday is day 21, so fingers crossed and we'll see how it goes.

Ours has hatched many many chicks....

That said if you do not have it in a temp controlled room regulating the temp can be a little tricky, but once you get it set DO NOT adjust it with the thermostat as removing or replacing vent plugs should be all you need to do.

We also have a Hova and it is easier to keep stable, but still needs some attention and again we simply use the vents to control fluctuation.

But both work well.....

mines in my closet surrounded my boxes and has a shelf above it and gets no drafts or anything on it, i also have a themometer in the closet to monater the temp in there, it doent move to much, and the bator temp only moves when i open it to put water in or i put new eggs in, the temp dnt take to long to get back to normal, i put luke warm water in it and only open it for a little at a time. i have the auto egg turner also, i love this bator, it working great for my first time hatching and using one, all eggd developing great. i followed step by step direction and figured out some things on my own to make it work perfectly.

I bought an LG with a fan for my first incubator with an egg turner as I wasn't sure if I was going to incubate more than once. (I know there are a lot of LG haters on BYC) but I have had many successful hatches. The price was right since I wasn't sure what I was getting into and I was pretty sure I could sell it and recoup most of my expense. I also turn it on the day before I set my eggs to let the incubator stabilize. I found when adjusting the temperature you have to be very careful and barely turn the temp control just a slight whisker then walk away for awhile and let it stabilize. I think most people adjust and adjust some more, but you have to walk away. The thermostat is super sensitive.The temp will fluctuate while the eggs are adjusting to the incubator temperature. Resist temptation to adjust the temp. After a few hours if you need to adjust it then do it but BARELY increase or decrease. The slightest movement of the thermostat can make a BIG difference in the temp. You can also adjust your temp and humidity to some extent by removing one or both of the plugs. I fill the reservoirs in the bottom of the incubator when I turn it on to let it stabilize. It takes hours for the eggs internal temp to come up. Now I have a cabinet incubator I incubate in and I still use my LG and Hova-Bator styrofoam incubators as hatchers. My incubators are in a room that can be closed off from the other rooms. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I LOVE MY LG.
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

I got it for 15$ from my neighbor who HATED it, but he only hated it because he didnt understand how to use it.
smile.png
I hatched 45 out of 50 black marans ( which cost 100$) It is a bit touchy but it only encourages me NOT to touch it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom