Little giant temp flux

melissa508

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
ma
I fired up my little giant styrofoam bator this week to hatch my runner & amberlink eggs , the temp will not stay the same ..i keep finding it at 98.4 & have even found it at 106 ..it was brand new this spring , what could be the problem

I have a LG incubator and it does swing between 98 & 102 because I keep mine by the front door. I still got a 100% hatch. 106 is definately too hot. I dont touch it after it is set. I am wondering if yours is by a heat vent or in a room that the temp changes considerably. The knob on these incubators are super sensitive. If you have been adjusting it than that is likely the reason you are having trouble otherwise you may need to move it. If your eggs are in the incubator now, dont throw them out I have had spikes up to 110 and the eggs lived to be chicks. Hope that helps.

Mine swings like that constantly. I get rather fed up. I have it hold for a week and than start doing just what yours is now.

i had the same problem with mine. the temp would jump al over the place. i wrapped a beach towel around the sides. seems alot of air gets through (into and out of) the seal on these bators. the towel really helped out alot. hope it helps and god luck to you.

Perhaps it is the ambient temp in the room. My LG was fluctuating when I had it set up in the kitchen. Since I moved it upstairs to my office, its been holding steady at 102! Its in a relatively cold room too, probably around 65, but no drafts and no fluctuations in temperature at all in the room that is, and now in the bator too. I don't touch the dial at all anymore. I did have it set up for more than a week, regulating the temp before I set the eggs though.

Last edited:
I have a little giant and I can't stand it. I fiddled with the temperature so much trying to keep it even, not a chance,the temp fluctuation was severe, even with moving it to a warm corner in my frontroom. None of the 15 eggs hatched. I usually use my sportsman and was so disappointed after 22 days of incubation (candled on 14th day looked great) that they died. The temperature fluctuations are something that I will never want to bother with again. I am going to be using mine for a brooding box or something. I am going to get a Brinsea model. It was heartbreaking to put all those eggs in the freezer so that they can go into the garbage on garbage day, yuck. I am not impressed at all with this incubator.

I ended up putting my LG in one of my bottom kitchen cabinets. I just emptied it out, removed the shelves, and the LG fit in there perfectly. It's a little strange having the cord sticking out of the cabinet and stretching across the countertop, but I can put up with it. The temperature has been nice and steady--the best performance I've gotten out of this machine so far. If you don't have the cabinet space, I would try putting it inside a cardboard box maybe and even filling around it with towels or packing peanuts.

Back
Top Bottom