Little Gourds.... to the chickens?

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I bought a ton of decorative gourds to fill a bowl on my front porch... now we're redecorated for Christmas and I have a ton of gourds. Should I smash them up and give them to the chickens? I know we don't eat them, but would they still be edible for them? Otherwise out to the compost they go.

Why don't you bust one and see how they react, then let us know? I don't think they will hurt the chickens, but I would not overdo it. The gourds are probably related to pumpkins and pumpkins can have a laxative effect. As reported in a other thread here recently, that is what makes pumpkin a natural wormer. Not that it kills the worms, it just flushes some of them out of the system, thus reducing the worm load. I'll subscribe and watch.
pop.gif

By the way, I put busted birdhouse gourds in my compost heap last spring and some still had not completely composted this fall. They are getting there but I strained several big chunks out. Those things take forever. Maybe if they have not totally dried out when you put them in there???

Back
Top Bottom