Little Help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Giveneratry, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Giveneratry

Giveneratry New Egg

Sep 22, 2014
    Portland , OR
    So I have been researching everything about quail for some time now --raising, hatching,feeding and all that jazz...I have already put together a couple brooders and was thinking about ordering an incubator.. First off I'm not a rich man or a master carpenter...So i have a few ?'s if ya all don't mind. What is a fairly good incubator in the 50-70$ range if there is one and also if anyone has any plans and idea's on some simple quail cages to build it would be much appreciated. I would like to build these before I even attempt to hatch any quail. My end goal is maybe about 50 birds so I'm probably looking at stackable cages and I might also hang some under an overhang.. Thanks in advance an hope all are having a good day. Cheers Oh, also would you recommend getting the eggs for hatching from different folks so ya know they aren;t all from the same bloodline?

2. funsized72

funsized72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    Okay good luck and you should wait until spring next year cuz the quails have either stopped laying or have very bad fertility. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't need to wait until spring. Fertility is not affected by season. If you have coturnix they will stop laying in winter unless you put them under artificial light. Some breeds of quail will not be readily available this time of year because they are seasonal (valley quail, gambels quail, bobwhites, etc.) but you may still be able to find some hold overs. Just remember that only coturnix and button quail lay eggs every day. All the other quail species only lay from May to August.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kherome

Kherome Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    For your incubator question, most people seem to start out with Hova-bator or Little giant styrofoam incubators.

1 person likes this.
  5. Giveneratry

Giveneratry New Egg

Sep 22, 2014
    Portland , OR
    thanks

6. funsized72

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    i have a a question. Is fertility affected by light? Cuz none of my eggs are fertile right now

7. dc3085

Light does affect fertility in chickens so I would assume the same is true for quail, but that is only regarding birds kept indoors. Regardless of light, fertility should be better than zero. Are you sure the eggs aren't fertile or is something up with your incubator that is stopping them from developing?

8. funsized72

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    I crack them open and they have no bullseye so...[​IMG]

9. funsized72

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    Maybe my males are not working[​IMG] I went from too many to unoperating

10. dc3085

If I were you I'd run some eggs in the incubator to see if you are just missing the bullseye. It never hurts to be sure. If your roosters aren't fertile for sure and you need new ones let me know, I have some extras right now that would be ready in a couple weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by