Little hen loosing weight

Abigail Rose

Hatching
Jun 27, 2017
Hello! I am looking for some advice on a six-month-old Silver Sebright hen who is having problems. I have had her since she was a chick, and she has always been really tiny, even for a bantam. Her size hasn't seemed to be a problem at all; but a couple weeks ago or so I noticed she had lost a lot of weight.

Also, in August or July she started sneezing, a lot. I think she has something stuck in her throat? (It doesn't seem to affect her eating at all.) Since then, she sneezes on and off all the time; she also does what I call her "canon fire". (It is just a very violent sneeze, like when a chicken eats too much at once and sneezes to clear its throat. Except this hen doesn't necessarily do it right after eating.)

After I noticed her weight loss I separated her from the rest of the flock. Since then I have kept a close eye on her. Being lethargic hasn't been a problem; she continues to be very perky, although sometimes when walking she does appear to be a little weak. She is enthusiastic about food, but her crop is never full when I check it.

Any thoughts on whether or not the sneezing is connected to the weight loss? And most importantly, what is wrong and what should I do about it?

I am no expert but the weight loss could be worms. Sometimes there are no symptoms other than weight loss because the worm is living off of your chickens nutrients. As for the sneezing...mine sneeze from time to time from dust and other irritants. A true respiratory infection has other symptoms such as rattle noises while breathing, runny nose, wet or crusty eyes, etc. for a respiratory infection I would recommend VetRX, it's an oil like vapor rub, specifically for chickens with respiratory issues. Hope this helps & good luck with your little one.

Sneezing often can be a sign of infectious bronchitis. She may be immune compromised if she is a runt. Chicks who have coccidiosis can have a chronic form where they don't gain weight and may be sickly. I would worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard, and give her some chick vitamins in her water. Offer some chooped egg or low salt canned tuna for treats daily. If you can get a fresh dropping or two checked by a vet for worms and coccidia, that may help. Or you could treat for coccidiosis with Corid.

Back
Top Bottom