Sneezy Hen

jobeth83

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2024
I’m still pretty new to the whole chicken game. One of my Welbar hens started sneezing yesterday. Truthfully it’s the most adorable sneeze, but being the animal mom I am, I think the worst! Anyhow, I checked on her and the other 3 girls this afternoon and she didn’t sneeze immediately. However, she started up after she walked away from me while I was in the run. This time a few of her sneezes were a little more aggressive and made her sound like she was squawking. She appeared to gasp but it wasn’t a true gasp (make sense?). While I topped off their water and they ate their scratch grain and greens, my husband watched them and she started eating and acting like her normal self with the occasional sneeze. She has scratched at her face once. Her eyes look good with no drainage, no puffiness, no nostril drainage, and looks like her normal self. Any thoughts?
Note that she is skittish and will not let me pick her up. She will eat from my hand but that’s the only touch she’ll allow.

She may have got something stuck in her nose or mouth, dry feed or debris. It could be worth checking her mouth, particularly the groove on the top. If it continues it could be a symptom of a respiratory disease though the fact she has no nasal drainage makes that less likely.
Overall I don't worry about a few sneezes as long as I don't see other symptoms and it doesn't persist over weeks.

I’m still pretty new to the whole chicken game. One of my Welbar hens started sneezing yesterday. Truthfully it’s the most adorable sneeze, but being the animal mom I am, I think the worst! Anyhow, I checked on her and the other 3 girls this afternoon and she didn’t sneeze immediately. However, she started up after she walked away from me while I was in the run. This time a few of her sneezes were a little more aggressive and made her sound like she was squawking. She appeared to gasp but it wasn’t a true gasp (make sense?). While I topped off their water and they ate their scratch grain and greens, my husband watched them and she started eating and acting like her normal self with the occasional sneeze. She has scratched at her face once. Her eyes look good with no drainage, no puffiness, no nostril drainage, and looks like her normal self. Any thoughts?
Note that she is skittish and will not let me pick her up. She will eat from my hand but that’s the only touch she’ll allow.
Welcome To BYC! :frow

Can you get a video of her actions?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

You mention she was sneezing when you went out and topped off water, gave some scratch, etc.
Are you noticing the sneezing only after she's been eating/drinking, is it random or fairly consistent.
She may be in hurry to eat/drink and is getting some food or water in her airway.

Observe actions and take note of when you notice the sneezing most.

Back
Top Bottom