Little to no eggs production

Joe Rampata

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Dutchess County New York
Hi
I have raised chickens for a long time, but i have a problem I can't figure out.
My Welsummers layed good all year until a month ago, same foods, no molt and have even increased light
but out of eight hens and one rooster i am only getting one to none a day compaired to about five to seven a day.
Anyone have an idea?

Hi
I have raised chickens for a long time, but i have a problem I can't figure out.
My Welsummers layed good all year until a month ago, same foods, no molt and have even increased light
but out of eight hens and one rooster i am only getting one to none a day compaired to about five to seven a day.
Anyone have an idea?
Hum...mites? ... maybe they need more green feed? I use Plotspike Forage Oats. Created around 2002 by special linebreeding ( not GMO) at Louisiana State University. Sprout them in mason jars in the kitchen. Feed 1 cubic inch per bird per day of 4 day to 7 day old sprouts. From 1 thru 3 days they are grain feed and fed as part of the daily ration. But on the 4th day a nutritional change takes place in the sprout and they become green feed. Helps bring the hens into lay and helps the males create better sperm. Not necessary to feed older than 7 days. No nutritional advantage. But they might get sour if older. Should always smell fresh and feel crisp. Not slimy or smelling sour. if so, they are bad, throw out. The Plotspike are used for feeding plots for hunters. Can sprout other seeds but historically oats are preferred. I get mine at Tractor Supply. Available in 25 or 50 lb. bag. Not expensive. http://www.plotspike.com
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Should I be concerned?? I've got 11 girls who are laying, they are 22wks (ok, 1 just started and is 18wks) old. There are also another 5 girls the same age +3 18wkers not laying.
We've been having great numbers this week; 7-9 eggs a day! However, today we only had 5 lay and they were all golden comets. No other chicken laid today.
Is there something wrong or anything I can do to help? I've got the oyster shell with omega 3 available and have the nesting box herbset.
It HAS been cooler which they are all cold weather layers and love this. Plus it's been raining so they've been stuck inside for a few days. I don't think this will affect them as 9 eggs were when they were all inside.
Anyone have any ideas for me?

Should I be concerned?? I've got 11 girls who are laying, they are 22wks (ok, 1 just started and is 18wks) old. There are also another 5 girls the same age +3 18wkers not laying.
We've been having great numbers this week; 7-9 eggs a day! However, today we only had 5 lay and they were all golden comets. No other chicken laid today.
Is there something wrong or anything I can do to help? I've got the oyster shell with omega 3 available and have the nesting box herbset.
It HAS been cooler which they are all cold weather layers and love this. Plus it's been raining so they've been stuck inside for a few days. I don't think this will affect them as 9 eggs were when they were all inside.
Anyone have any ideas for me?

Doesn't sound that abnormal to me. I personally would not be worried based on their age and the sample size(1 day and off only a few eggs) What other breeds do you have?

Doesn't sound that abnormal to me. I personally would not be worried based on their age and the sample size(1 day and off only a few eggs) What other breeds do you have?

6 black Australorps (all 22wks old, 3 laying)
5 golden comets (4 22wk old 1 18wk old)
4 buff orpingtons (2 22wk old 2 18)
3 Easter Eggers (all 22 wks old, all laying)
1 golden laced wyandotte (18wk)
Today 2 australorps, 2 easter eggers, 4 comets already laid. 1 Aussie egg broke
Maybe they all just take a day break or something? I'm new at this laying and just wondering. Thank you so much.

6 black Australorps (all 22wks old, 3 laying)
5 golden comets (4 22wk old 1 18wk old)
4 buff orpingtons (2 22wk old 2 18)
3 Easter Eggers (all 22 wks old, all laying)
1 golden laced wyandotte (18wk)
Today 2 australorps, 2 easter eggers, 4 comets already laid. 1 Aussie egg broke
Maybe they all just take a day break or something? I'm new at this laying and just wondering. Thank you so much.

I have 32 hens.. Mixed flock but several of the breeds you have. They were born April 15th ish.. Today 19 laid.. Several have not started laying yet. Some have been laying a month now.

Back
Top Bottom