Littles and bigs

BCLFarm

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 6, 2018
My littles are just over 10 weeks old. I now have their brooder inside the coop. At first brooder was in the garage then I moved it to the coop/shed. (We built a wall inside the coop so part of it is a coop and part is a shed. The wall has chicken wire for more air flow) after a couple weeks I moved the brooder to the actual coop side. During the day the littles are in a wire dog kennel inside the chicken run. I have been slowly letting them interact with the bigs (3 years old). At night the littles have been determined to sleep roosted in the edge of the brooder (big water tank we put wheels on) but they seem wobbly so I move them to the roosting bar just before full dark. My bigs aren’t very accepting of the littles yet. Am I rushing it or doing it ok? This is first time adding to flock. They act like 2 separate flocks. Foe the most part they stay away from each other when I have them all out together, at times a big May do an quick pack at a little but they also do it to each other (mainly around food)

My bigs aren’t very accepting of the littles yet. Am I rushing it or doing it ok?
Yes, you're rushing it. Let the littles integrate with the bigs in their own time.
They act like 2 separate flocks.
And they will continue to do so for quite a while until the littles start laying.

How much space is in the run and coop? What is in the run for jumping on and hiding behind? How many feeders do you have out?
Your pullets are more than old enough to be mingling with the hens. They just need LOTS of space and objects in the space to hide from the hens.

As long as the bigs aren't preventing the littles from eating, or pecking/harassing to the point on injury, then they're doing well enough at this time. The young birds will not be really integrated in with the adults until they begin laying but as long as they have plenty of space, some clutter to provide hiding spots, and enough feeders for everyone, then you should be good for the interim period until the adults start to truly accept them.

Yes, you're rushing it. Let the littles integrate with the bigs in their own time.

And they will continue to do so for quite a while until the littles start laying.

How much space is in the run and coop? What is in the run for jumping on and hiding behind? How many feeders do you have out?
Your pullets are more than old enough to be mingling with the hens. They just need LOTS of space and objects in the space to hide from the hens.
The run is like 15x18 or something like that. The coop is probably about the same. During the day the littles are in a wire kennel inside the run because the run door is open.outside of the run is a ‘fenced in yard’ for the chickens that goes around the garden (fenced to keep chickens out during season). I do not want the littles outside the run yet. Not sure if they are ready for that. Or maybe I’m not ready for them to be out yet. Makes me really nervous thinking about them outside of the run. There are places to jump up or hide behind/in but probably not enough.

The run is like 15x18 or something like that. The coop is probably about the same. During the day the littles are in a wire kennel inside the run because the run door is open.outside of the run is a ‘fenced in yard’ for the chickens that goes around the garden (fenced to keep chickens out during season). I do not want the littles outside the run yet. Not sure if they are ready for that. Or maybe I’m not ready for them to be out yet. Makes me really nervous thinking about them outside of the run. There are places to jump up or hide behind/in but probably not enough.
Oh, and food dishes. Forgot that. There are 3 bigger food bowls in the run for the bigs and 2 waterers. Inside the chick crate there is 1 long food dish and 1 water.

As long as the bigs aren't preventing the littles from eating, or pecking/harassing to the point on injury, then they're doing well enough at this time. The young birds will not be really integrated in with the adults until they begin laying but as long as they have plenty of space, some clutter to provide hiding spots, and enough feeders for everyone, then you should be good for the interim period until the adults start to truly accept them.
No injuries as of yet, usually any peck I’ve seen has been a quick peck. Some of the bigs watch the littles and look as though they want to peck the heck out of them. When they are together I do try and spend a lot of time out with them to stop those behaviors

I do not want the littles outside the run yet. Not sure if they are ready for that. Or maybe I’m not ready for them to be out yet. Makes me really nervous thinking about them outside of the run. There are places to jump up or hide behind/in but probably not enough.
No injuries as of yet, usually any peck I’ve seen has been a quick peck. Some of the bigs watch the littles and look as though they want to peck the heck out of them.
I think they'd probably be ok in the run with the bigs at this point, but I think you're worried enough about things going wrong that you want to take it slow. Which is fine if you have time to spend time with the flock for doing that.

If you think there's not enough obstacles, doesn't hurt to add more even if only temporarily, to give the chicks more cover until they're bigger.

Back
Top Bottom