Littlest hen getting picked on

Chefrica

Chirping
Aug 21, 2020
South Jersey
I have three hens and the smallest has been getting picked on. About two months ago one of the other hens (or maybe both, not sure) pecked at her comb and did a bit of damage. Her comb is now a little disfigured but healed pretty quickly and things were fine for awhile. Two days ago however, I noticed that it happened again. This time wasnt nearly as bad and is healing well. I also notice that the other two sleep up on the roosting bar at night and she sleeps in the doorway to the coop. They have a roosting bar in the coop and in the run at the front of the coop but they prefer the one in the run even though it's pretty cold here in new jersey. They don't seem bothered by the cold at all, they run around all day outside playing in the snow. I'm worried about the little one not getting to be next to the other two to stay warm and just for her well being in general since it almost seems to be something out of the movie mean girls and she isn't part of the clique. Any suggestions on what to do for my little Vina?

I am not that knowledgeable about this but it sounds a bit like bullying syndrome which is talked about in @azygous article. You would have to isolate this hen until she gets enough courage to stand up to them... I don’t have a link to the article so hopefully @azygous will link it.
This could come from them not having enough space or things to do that they get bored and start being mean.
also blu-kote (think that is how it is spelled) prevents picking from other chickens, I have never used it but it has been mentioned before.
hopefully someone with more advice can help!

Back
Top Bottom