Livestock guardian dogs

Pics
My rabbit lives in my coop in a cage that hangs from rafters and I have a hen in cage with 5 chicks and two puppies and my guard dog had to be brought into coop last couple nights cuz its been 1f with wind chill below 0 so its been a petting zoo in my coop
smile.png
and the dogs have been behaved so far
lau.gif
Why is it so easy to imagine that? Possibly because that's been my house lately too with this cold weather!

Sigh. My girl is starting her first heat. So I've had to pull her into the laundry room...I so do NOT want puppies, especially from a young one and a brother-sister pair. So that leavea him out there...where he decided to patrol back and forth, back and forth in front of the house barking nonstop last night. I hope he settles down soon!

Sigh. My girl is starting her first heat. So I've had to pull her into the laundry room...I so do NOT want puppies, especially from a young one and a brother-sister pair. So that leavea him out there...where he decided to patrol back and forth, back and forth in front of the house barking nonstop last night. I hope he settles down soon!

If you're not breeding her, time to get her fixed, because they will find a time to make pups.

If you're not breeding her, time to get her fixed, because they will find a time to make pups.
Actually, I'm a veterinarian. I have my reasons for letting her have one full heat cycle. It is also very difficult to spay a large dog during the estrus cycle. I can keep them apart. HE is a bigger problem currently...he has decided to take on the entire job himself...and he is noisy!

Actually, I'm a veterinarian. I have my reasons for letting her have one full heat cycle. It is also very difficult to spay a large dog during the estrus cycle. I can keep them apart. HE is a bigger problem currently...he has decided to take on the entire job himself...and he is noisy!

Is it better for them somehow to wait on spaying? I took in some rescue kittens and the shelter spayed and neutered both of them at eight weeks old. I was concerned that was way too young, but I have always spayed and neutered my pets by six months.

Is it better for them somehow to wait on spaying? I took in some rescue kittens and the shelter spayed and neutered both of them at eight weeks old. I was concerned that was way too young, but I have always spayed and neutered my pets by six months.
Cats, no. Cats can be spayed and neutered early. I personally think 8 weeks is too young, but shelter medicine is different than general practice.

Evidence is mounting that large breed dogs that are altered early may be at higher risk for various cancers, orthopedic problems and other issues. My dog has a couple issues that letting her have one complete cycle will fix. However, it does increase her risk for mammary cancer.

My other concern is that I have working dogs. Altering them early changes their musculature. I want them to attain their full mass as much as possible.

I do NOT recommend delaying altering for all owners. It's a very individualized concern. Many of my owners cannot deal with intact dogs...we have too many unplanned pregnancies as it is among our patient base...so I am telling many owners to spay and neuter early. But for some, it can and does work.

More and more studies are linking early spay/neuter to various cancers, hip dysplasia, and CCL tears. Personally I won't alter any future dogs until at least 2 years of age when they are mostly done growing. That is not a good choice for everyone- an unaltered dog is much more responsibility and work to prevent "oops" litters. I'm responsible enough it's not an issue for me, and the downsides like heat cycles aren't enough to make me alter early.

I hate dealing with the heat cycle myself. I don't like keeping her in the house...I don't have anywhere else secure to keep her. She seems to be enjoying it a bit too much already. But she can't be out on guard duty, attracting every intact male for miles around to surround my property, getting hit by cars and generally being annoying. If I had pet dogs, I wouldn't be putting up with this nonsense.

Cats are not small dogs. Cats are much better served by altering early and reducing caloric intake to prevent obesity.

There is no evidence that early alter increases orthopedic issues, etc, in small breed dogs.

Cats, no. Cats can be spayed and neutered early. I personally think 8 weeks is too young, but shelter medicine is different than general practice.

Evidence is mounting that large breed dogs that are altered early may be at higher risk for various cancers, orthopedic problems and other issues. My dog has a couple issues that letting her have one complete cycle will fix. However, it does increase her risk for mammary cancer.

My other concern is that I have working dogs. Altering them early changes their musculature. I want them to attain their full mass as much as possible.

I do NOT recommend delaying altering for all owners. It's a very individualized concern. Many of my owners cannot deal with intact dogs...we have too many unplanned pregnancies as it is among our patient base...so I am telling many owners to spay and neuter early. But for some, it can and does work.

Well, that's interesting. I surely hope that will not be the case with my Pyrenees. I am hoping that feeding her a grain free diet will prevent the issues you have mentioned above, especially joint issues. Mine is a working dog also and early spaying did not seem to affect her growth. She weighs in at 120lbs. How early can large dogs like this become pregnant?

Back
Top Bottom