Living in a neighborhood and My Lady's are Loud!

4Chix and a Fam

Hatching
7 Years
May 8, 2012
I have a few questions if someone could help me out?

We have four hens in our little back yard flock. We love them like our cat and dogs....Im having a problem with these little lady's waking up and crowing around 4-5 am wanting out of the coop. Then if I do let them out they are and will crow non stop until it is light out.
Im concerned for them, and for my neighbors. As far as I know we are the only ones in the neighborhood with chickens, and it is legal.

Does anyone have any sugestions on what I can do? I have a heat lamp in the coop as it has been cold, but I have also read about a grow light? Would that help?

They also will not lay eggs in the coop, they like to lay them under the coop where it is like a extra large nesting box and dark and dry with lots of hay, but that isn't really a problem the way we have it set up. They dont seem to have a problem laying an egg in the coop if it is at night and they are locked up because I have gotten several eggs in the morning there. I think they just prefer it underneith.

I guess I just need to try a few diffrent things, and I don't want my neighbors to get upset with us. No one has complained yet either but I hope to keep it that way.

Hens do not crow. Is it possible you have a rooster in your flock? Pics of your birds might help.

If you want them to lay in the coop you need to block off the area they are laying in or somehow make it less appealing and make sure your nest boxes are in a dark place where they will want to lay.

These are my girls. And sorry I miss spoke, I didnt mean to say crow. They are for sure all hens.
and in the last picture is the underneith of the coop, and it is fully fenced in in the run. It is also easy to get into. I dont really have any other photos of the set up right now.

my buff orphinton looks just like your girl in pic she is my noisest what I have done is put a black out curten over the door so they dont know the sun is starting to rise till 7am the sun hits the spot that lets them know and by that time I am awake and ready to let them out I throw chicken scrach and feed out to keep them busy for the am part and it helps keep them quite.

They are lovely!

Unfortunately that under shape looks like great laying conditions. If you want them to go in the coop I would block is off completely for a few weeks so that they get into a routine of laying in the coop. Then open it up and see if they stick to their new routine.

Good luck.

I have one bo gold and she is so loveable she follows me every were and is always wanting to jump up on me and relax its amazing how my pumpkin acts. I have her in a pen with two bcm and she is more loveable then they are. I recommend this bread to any one

Back
Top Bottom