Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

Pics
So, I was watching Chonkers and Fizz Bang with their ladies this morning and it didn't make me hopeful that the eggs are fertilized. It seems I have raised some strong, independent, ladies who don't need no man... Chonkers was still on the roost this morning, I opened the chicken door and he flew the 10 feet across the coop and smashed into the mandoor, strutted around the floor of the coop I think trying to play it off, then ran out the chicken door, poofed both his wings out from his sides and started just chasing the ladies. :idunno

Fizz Bang was just chilling with his ladies, but as I'm walking back to the house he starts rooster dancing toward one, when he got close she just jumped over him and ran off :gig

I guess we'll know next Friday what we've got 🤣
Wow that's a alot of excitement! :lau also what is Flogs ? You have a chicken who flogs and bites. So I've been trying to decide about getting an incubator my husband tells me today if you want to go ahead and get an incubator you can LOL. did he really think that if I wanted one I wouldn't go get it? Lol Also want to know what kind of rooster I was going to get. They sure don't pay attention when im talking to him I told him I didn't need a rooster I was getting an incubator I think it just all went over his head oh well have a great day! EGG ON!!

Wow that's a alot of excitement! :lau also what is Flogs ? You have a chicken who flogs and bites. So I've been trying to decide about getting an incubator my husband tells me today if you want to go ahead and get an incubator you can LOL. did he really think that if I wanted one I wouldn't go get it? Lol Also want to know what kind of rooster I was going to get. They sure don't pay attention when im talking to him I told him I didn't need a rooster I was getting an incubator I think it just all went over his head oh well have a great day! EGG ON!!
Whoohoo! Incubator shopping time! Well, it's always nice to have their backing, that way it's a team effort going in and when there are too many chicks it's not 100% your fault, because he did say "go ahead" and therefore you can assume he is fully aware of what is coming 🤣🤣

So, flogging is when they fly up and kick the tar out of you with their feet and / or spurs. Not pleasant in my experience with the rooster, but hilarious when it's my hen. My hen flogs me but it doesn't really hurt, the rooster on the other hand is very serious about it and it is very painful!

Important planning questions:
- What kind of pullets or hens do you currently have
- what breed do you want to hatch
- do you want a rooster in the flock
- how many pullets/hens do you currently have
- how many pullets/hens do you want

You don't have to have a rooster, you can always purchase hatching eggs from a hatchery, or local breeder. Once you hatch chicks though just remember thay about 50% will be cockerels and you need a plan for them! The plan is, keeping them all in their own coop, selling / giving then away, or eating them. If you think you'll get attached to then, a sexlinked breed would be helpful so you know as soon as they hatch if they are male or female and mayne you can find someone locally who would take them as day old chicks.

Whoohoo! Incubator shopping time! Well, it's always nice to have their backing, that way it's a team effort going in and when there are too many chicks it's not 100% your fault, because he did say "go ahead" and therefore you can assume he is fully aware of what is coming 🤣🤣

So, flogging is when they fly up and kick the tar out of you with their feet and / or spurs. Not pleasant in my experience with the rooster, but hilarious when it's my hen. My hen flogs me but it doesn't really hurt, the rooster on the other hand is very serious about it and it is very painful!

Important planning questions:
- What kind of pullets or hens do you currently have
- what breed do you want to hatch
- do you want a rooster in the flock
- how many pullets/hens do you currently have
- how many pullets/hens do you want

You don't have to have a rooster, you can always purchase hatching eggs from a hatchery, or local breeder. Once you hatch chicks though just remember thay about 50% will be cockerels and you need a plan for them! The plan is, keeping them all in their own coop, selling / giving then away, or eating them. If you think you'll get attached to then, a sexlinked breed would be helpful so you know as soon as they hatch if they are male or female and mayne you can find someone locally who would take them as day old chicks.
Thanks Tink, that's alot of good question of course I would want to raise Braham but then I like them too much. they may be harder for me to get rid of or sell we're going to check into the feed store down the road from us see if he'd buy the chicks off of me so there's still a lot of research going into this and I appreciate all the information I'm getting from each of you .

Thanks Tink, that's alot of good question of course I would want to raise Braham but then I like them too much. they may be harder for me to get rid of or sell we're going to check into the feed store down the road from us see if he'd buy the chicks off of me so there's still a lot of research going into this and I appreciate all the information I'm getting from each of you .
The more questions you ponder, and the more time you spend planning, the better things go ❤ the good thing with chickens is, you can impulse set eggs, and still have 21 days to come up with an actual plan 🤣

A local breeder has dark brahmas and she said she can tell gender at about 6 weeks, this helps compared to waiting for 12 to 20 plus weeks.

And everyone, please hold me back!!! There's the exact incubator that I want for sale locally!!! Do I need it... eh, kinda? I either need one with automatic humidity control, or I need to buy a humidity pump and those suckers are over $140 that I've found 🙄

I know, I know... I said I wouldn't do any more risky hatches, but here I am, doing it again. Look for twins. I've got a day 7 twin embryo going. I read that cold temps before hatching can cause the embryo to split into 2! One thing causing my anomalies is the opposite of yours because it's an old hen in the middle of winter. But little hen has done good so far and put three babies on the ground that were born last week. Even though like this twin egg, needed a little help hatching. And a 7-hour power outage on top of that, it has been nuts. I guess I should make my own thread if anyone wants to follow it? I have never done my own hatch along before.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom