Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

audience yes GIF by The Maury Show
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office
Cheering Yes GIF by Victoria's Secret PINK
HE MADE IT OUT

How many chicks hatched from her and were any of them dark?

I'm thinking recessive white is at play here. Silkies are known to have the gene and it can be carried unseen until two carriers happen to breed and produce white offspring.

That lighter colored cockerel looks like a leaky splash or a splash partridge, so I'm not sure he gives us all the answers... The silvery chick could be a light-colored Mauve out of him and the Chocolate hen, though. 🤔
12, yes ONE DOZEN hatched from my chocolate pullet, and only 5 from all my other silkies combined 🙄 she is determined to be the cornerstone of my breeding program I guess 🤣🤣🤣

There seem to be chocolate, black, blue, the silver, yellow, and one I'm wondering if it's a mauve?

Progress report!

Hatched:
Blueberry @Nero70002
Taza
Un-named silkie from my flock (partridge? )
Larry @Debbie292d
Grace @ TwoCrows
Un-named silkie from my flock (light, maybe splash)
Wisteria @Chive

Pipped:
Green Bean!!! [SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]@lkb1230[/FONT][/SIZE] I left it in because I couldn't see in the shell, it has PIPPED!!!
Steve @thedawg
Zip the Zippy Chick @pipdzipdnreadytogo
Pippa @Nero70002
+ 4 eggs from my chocolate pullet. @Obsessed With Silkies I can't see all the numbers so Duchess may be one of them!
:weeGood Job Wysteria! Welcome to the world!

@pipdzipdnreadytogo what do you think of these paints? Is one chocolate ans one black? The one seems lighter but I can't tell if it's lighter feathers or just smaller spots that make it look lighter.

One is Zip the Zippy Chick and the other is Green Bean. I'm going to have to go look at their feet to know who is who, Green Bean has EE colored feet and Zip has pink feet.

Update - Zip is the lighter one, GB is one with the darker spots.

20240218_100240.jpg

Last edited:
12, yes ONE DOZEN hatched from my chocolate pullet, and only 5 from all my other silkies combined 🙄 she is determined to be the cornerstone of my breeding program I guess 🤣🤣🤣

There seem to be chocolate, black, blue, the silver, yellow, and one I'm wondering if it's a mauve?

Oh, goodness! I guess she's been a busy gal! 🤭

This is from the chocolate pullet, is this a mauve?

View attachment 3751541
View attachment 3751542

I would agree that that looks mauve, yes. I suspect the yellow ones are recessive white.

Which leaves the silvery ones... 🤔 Might have to let them start getting feathers and look at those.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo what do you think of these paints? Is one chocolate ans one black? The one seems lighter but I can't tell if it's lighter feathers or just smaller spots that make it look lighter.

One is Zip the Zippy Chick and the other is Green Bean. I'm going to have to go look at their feet to know who is who, Green Bean has EE colored feet and Zip has pink feet.

View attachment 3751598

The lighting makes it hard for me to be positive, but it does kinda look like the upper one might have chocolate specks and the lower one black flecks.

Are they doing the baby bobbles now that they're in the brooder? I just love it when they do the baby bobbles 🥰

Back
Top Bottom