Living off site

Hi just as everyone else suggested, it would be best to wait since you’ll get addicted and want to see them all the time. But also to be able to protect them from predators. Like things happen even if you live there, but the risk increases if you don’t live nearby.

On another note, I’m so jealous! 3 acre pond! That’s awesome! I have a similar size property but it has some houses and structures in it and no ponds, and not as many trees as I would have liked, so it looks smaller and more open than if it was a nice wooded area with a pond and a cabin. One day that’s my dream 😊

:welcome

Your new property sounds wonderful! I'd personally wait until living there before getting the ducks so someone is around to keep an eye on them throughout the day.

Best wishes with all your plans!
Thank you. We are very excited. That was my gut feeling, but was so anxious and kinda getting the cart before the horse here. Haha. Thanks for your input.

Hi just as everyone else suggested, it would be best to wait since you’ll get addicted and want to see them all the time. But also to be able to protect them from predators. Like things happen even if you live there, but the risk increases if you don’t live nearby.

On another note, I’m so jealous! 3 acre pond! That’s awesome! I have a similar size property but it has some houses and structures in it and no ponds, and not as many trees as I would have liked, so it looks smaller and more open than if it was a nice wooded area with a pond and a cabin. One day that’s my dream 😊

Yes, I think that’s absolutely the biggest issue, even if we did have and morning and evening routine of being there, predators are gonna be a concern for sure, and the guilt of letting them be sitting ducks, no pun intended🙃, would rip my heart out. Waiting is definitely the best decision. Got a little too eager for a minute.
Thank you! we have the same with trees, part of it is very overgrown with invasives (hoping the rental goat clean up crew Is a success this summer) and the other part is barren - previously farmed - bu try Has tons of potential. We’ve gotta tend to the algae overgrowth due to all the farm chemical run off flowing right into it and causing an over abundance of blooms.. but it definitely does feel like a treat to get to have. We are just getting started and new to all of it, so it’s bound to be an experience learning how to make it thriving. (Any pond experts out there?? Haha) So far hunters and fishermen seem to be there hardest invaders to manage. 😏😆

Hi, welcome to BYC! Just a word about the rental goats? Not sure what that means. Goats are very picky about what they eat and are not the lawn mowers that everyone thinks they are. They will eat certain stems of grass, but not down to the ground...leaving patching grass fields. They will always eat the bushes you don’t want them to eat, and make sure you read up because there are many bushes and trees that are poisonous to goats. Also...goats are VERY complicated animals...and I don’t recommend them to anyone that doesn’t have the time, or energy or dedication to give them the true care they need. There are specific minerals, and they only like certain feeds, certain hays, need shots all the time, get lice, the list goes on. So, even ‘renting goats’ might not be what you wan5 to do...because, after you dedicate the time and energy needed, you’ll surely fall 8n love with them! As the6 have the best personalities and are wonderful animals...that every true farmer would love. Just do a ton of research!! :). And, your ducks will love the ponds!! I’ve had up to 51 ducks at one poin5 on our farm....they are a riot. Luckily have not lost many to predators. Just make SURE you get the right ratio of drakes to females...that is the key!! Otherwise the fighting will get out of control!! I hope I didn’t scare you!! I just wanted to offer you some advice from my farming experience. All of which has been wonderful! Congrats on the new land...it sounds like a dream!!

Back
Top Bottom