Living off Social Security

Pics
Another High Desert follower here, in my 60's, always looking for more ways to be frugal. I'm 6400' feet in elevation in southern New Mexico. I'm pretty good at most things mentioned, but also looking for ideas for cash flow. Does anyone here actually make a profit (however small) on their chickens or other livestock? More income than outgo? The dang electric company won't take eggs in trade. I don't have the $ to install solar!
LOL I used to live in Roswell thats where I fell in love with the high desert. Or at least the climate there.... Yep the elevation is about three hundred feet higher than where I am right now.

I have tried to figure that one out. I think across the board the only profit that can be made, outside of stepping into small scale commercial production, is the benefit of controling the quality of life of the birds and the quality of the eggs and meat they give you.

There are thinks you can do to help break even Sell a few chicks if there is a market. Hatching eggs if you have pure breds.... This is partially why I want to raise Guinea fowl. They are popular around here for bug and tick control.

Collected feathers can be sold for making crafts....

If you know how you can Skin your processed cockrels and preserve the pelt and sell it whole to people who do Fly tieing.

deb

Hi Perchie .girl. I'm 67 and retired at the end of September on a little over a half acre. I applaud your exuberance, but a word of caution: don't burden yourself with too much or you will burn out / or just plain crash and burn with such a large undertaking. Build your farm slowly and remember to take breaks just because you deserve it. When I first moved into this property last March I was still working and had a killer commute every day. Still, I jumped into building a brooder and getting chickens, then building five raised garden beds, filling them and planting. Then I built the coop and moved the chickens in. By then it was time to start harvesting and canning. Oh, and by the way I make my own bread (including pizza dough) and butter. All this while I was still commuting. By the time I retired, I hid in my house for about a week just resting. Now I have slowed down and can really enjoy what I've built. There's still a lot to do but I'm taking my time and enjoying the journey. Good luck with your retirement!

Hi Perchie .girl. I'm 67 and retired at the end of September on a little over a half acre. I applaud your exuberance, but a word of caution: don't burden yourself with too much or you will burn out / or just plain crash and burn with such a large undertaking. Build your farm slowly and remember to take breaks just because you deserve it. When I first moved into this property last March I was still working and had a killer commute every day. Still, I jumped into building a brooder and getting chickens, then building five raised garden beds, filling them and planting. Then I built the coop and moved the chickens in. By then it was time to start harvesting and canning. Oh, and by the way I make my own bread (including pizza dough) and butter. All this while I was still commuting. By the time I retired, I hid in my house for about a week just resting. Now I have slowed down and can really enjoy what I've built. There's still a lot to do but I'm taking my time and enjoying the journey. Good luck with your retirement!
Thank you for the reminder.... LOL. I lived there for five years and got my coop started... But I do know my limitations and I have my son I can brow beat into helping when I need it.

Though I am pretty good at working smart not hard.... and will hire a contractor for big projects Like resolving wiring issues in the house. Patching the hole in the floor .... stuff like that. (dont ask)

fencing is an issue I will need someone to do fence posts... But I want to run the wire...

I am a dreamer so I talk alot about what I want to do... But when it comes time to put up or shut up... sigh... you can hear crickets...

I will do a coop and fence though just to keep my dogs safe and poultry... Coops for me are dog kennel panels they bolt together and can be added on modularly... I am good with stuff like that.

deb

Thank you for the reminder.... LOL. I lived there for five years and got my coop started... But I do know my limitations and I have my son I can brow beat into helping when I need it.

Though I am pretty good at working smart not hard.... and will hire a contractor for big projects Like resolving wiring issues in the house. Patching the hole in the floor .... stuff like that. (dont ask)

fencing is an issue I will need someone to do fence posts... But I want to run the wire...

I am a dreamer so I talk alot about what I want to do... But when it comes time to put up or shut up... sigh... you can hear crickets...

I will do a coop and fence though just to keep my dogs safe and poultry... Coops for me are dog kennel panels they bolt together and can be added on modularly... I am good with stuff like that.

deb

Now, I'm almost jealous. I don't have any help around my place. But so what if the chicken coop isn't perfectly square - it's sturdy. One of the nicest compliments I have received was from one of the neighbors who stopped by on Halloween while trick or treating and said that I did a really good job fixing up the property. That and a lot of ibuprofen keeps me plugging away.

Totally agree @Wee Farmer Sarah and @perchie.girl - I have been fit and active all my life and now that I have my little dream place & semi-retirement I have had lots of aches and pains - not because of over work but previous old injuries coming back to haunt me. It's really a bummer to have all these things you want to do and can only dabble at due to physical restraints. A warning to all you young whipper-snappers out there: You may or may not be made of the same stuff after 60! Get it set up while you're young so when you retire you don't have a million projects left!

Totally agree @Wee Farmer Sarah and @perchie.girl - I have been fit and active all my life and now that I have my little dream place & semi-retirement I have had lots of aches and pains - not because of over work but previous old injuries coming back to haunt me. It's really a bummer to have all these things you want to do and can only dabble at due to physical restraints. A warning to all you young whipper-snappers out there: You may or may not be made of the same stuff after 60! Get it set up while you're young so when you retire you don't have a million projects left!
I had a lifetime with horses and their accompanying thumps and bumps.... crushed virtibre, a neck that looks like badly stacked poker chips... repaired ACL ligament.... Hernia... only recently found.

I did well on ibuprophin and Chiropracter for years... But now Arthritis is worming its way in... So I NEED to keep active.... gently but need to to keep from being stove up completly.

Key to it is take tylenal BEFORE you tackle a project... And dont wait for the hot shower....

deb

Now, I'm almost jealous. I don't have any help around my place. But so what if the chicken coop isn't perfectly square - it's sturdy. One of the nicest compliments I have received was from one of the neighbors who stopped by on Halloween while trick or treating and said that I did a really good job fixing up the property. That and a lot of ibuprofen keeps me plugging away.

One of the things I did when I moved up to the desert was meet as many people I could introduce myself and dont intrude. Believe me we all are at least twenty acres apart and most are not ..... shall we say Out going.... But many will stop on the dirt road in passing if i waive and smile and roll down my window.

I usually say ""are you my neighbor?"" usually got a chuckle and a short conversation would ensue... and Id drive on... I have one neighbor who is close enough to me through conversations to watch over my place if I had to be gone for a couple of days. He would shake his head... "You know more people around here than I do" "and I have lived up here forty years"

I always waive and smile. at everyone. So When I have an issue its easy to start up a conversation. I chatted up a resale shop owner once and told him about my well booster pump woes. He chimed in he was a master plumber before his back issues.

I wound up Buying the components he listed for me and he re plumbed a new motor in for free. I couldn't make him take money.... But I did talk Him into taking a Camper shell he wanted....

Another place to meet and greet people is at the community center if there is one in town. On weekens there will be Breakfasts or lunches... Alot of people in these communitys are retired and living close to the vest. Networking can be a powerful tool for finding resources for help.

Heck there are a couple of church based or even county based rehab programs and for a donation they will bring a crew ou to help with Clean up For brush or help with fence... The guys are usually kids got on the wrong side of the law and they come with a supervisor.

Heck I bought my place from one such group. Set Free... There were 21 women living in my one bedroom house and green house.... The minister was pretty scary looking tatoos on his knuckles and up the back of his head.... But he was very nice to me...

deb

Yup, self-care is a thing. I take advil when needed, but Tylenol/Acetamenophin has really terrible health related problems, can't believe they still sell it cross the counter. I pace and do what I can. I use to train & gallop race horses for years. So many wrecks that I bounced back from at the time have now come back to remind me of those fun times. I'm very secluded where I am, but there are a few good people around, always willing to help so I try to stay social. Back to the subject at hand: actually making more in a month, including the ss check, than you spend on the critters and upkeep. I'd love to see more creative ideas. I have the eggs & chickens are routinely put in the freezer for food. Gardening is hard & water is at a premium. Well doesn't recover if I water heavily and I have a 2000 gal. holding tank. Without a wet winter or heavy summer rains, I don't think a garden is even possible here. I do have feathers from 2 skinned chickens w/feathers on just to "see if I could", but I don't know if anyone would want to buy them or where to market them. They actually preserved quite well, I think for a first time experience. I have an ebay store and am continually adding a lifetime of collections and inherited things and findings - an ongoing yard sale online. Deb, I have Hughesnet, it's fine as long as you don't spend hours streaming movies or music. Let's keep this thread going with ideas that make our retirement fun & just a little bit profitable!

Well I am a Writer... Anecdotal stories about life and things I have seen and experienced. I hope to put togeher a book of short stories....

I also Write science fiction and hope to publish online when I get the first book done... Looks to be developing into a series of adventures in my "universe".

I make jewelry and sell it. havent been doing it long but within the first month I was selling pieces and making pieces on commission. To do it right I need a dedicated work shop... and for that I need to be home and have a work center setup....

Not to worry I have everything setup for a good work flow I just need more space... and equipment....

Its amazing how creative you can be with found objects...

But I think key is to only pay for what you need... and unclutter from what you dont need. I am not just talking stuff but Money pit things. My money pit things are different from other people.

Horses are part of my soul and though I have given my horse a way I will try to fill that niche with an animal I can fully care for by myself... farriers are hard to find in my area.

But goats are a close second... and While they will not be for milk or meat they will be for brush control. and walking companions.

deb

Back
Top Bottom