Living off Social Security

Pics
My husband has said this is our retirement place - so when I complain about him "over building" something, he reminds me that he is setting up for me. So, when I am old and feeble, I will be able to still do those things that I want to do.
For instance, we up-sized from a "garden tractor" to a "small" tractor. The garden tractor was a John Deere and had a hard time pulling the single plow and cultivator through my garden. We bought a 5' rota-tiller for the small tractor. With the bucket and the backhoe I will be able to get alot of projects done. The seat turns around when you use the backhoe.View attachment 1641409
:drool on the tractor...

I agree with your hubby. I'm putting in as much work while I'm still able. Since I'm only on a little over a half acre, I got the garden tractor for that size lot. Also, instead of the snow blower on sale for $295, I opted for the more expensive self propelled one and it has an electric start. Much more old fart friendly. And when I just can't carry the 40 lb bags of pellets under my arm any more I can carry the pellets in the house by bucket.

@perchie.girl I am, well - emotional - to read about you and Katie. I know how much that horse means to you. I had read in another post that you were horseless and I almost cried because I though maybe Katie had passed to greener pastures. It has to be very hard for you to consider parting with her. :hugs:hugs I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right thing.

@perchie.girl I am, well - emotional - to read about you and Katie. I know how much that horse means to you. I had read in another post that you were horseless and I almost cried because I though maybe Katie had passed to greener pastures. It has to be very hard for you to consider parting with her. :hugs:hugs I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right thing.
sob.... even when I am without a horse .... I am never horseless... in my heart...

Baby girl has a twelve year old doting on her and she has other horses around her.... it was a lonly life for her hen I wasnt living there... itsall for the best.

sigh.

@Wee Farmer Sarah - I do a garden each summer, just am ever so mindful of scarce water. I'm building soil each year to hold moisture etc etc. It'll be OK, but not a years worth of veggies.

Mulch helps retain moisture, and shade cloth can help against the hottest part of the day. Although water is generally not a scarcity here in New England, we do have dry spells. I water the individual plant roots with a watering can. It's a lot of work but it keeps the plants going. Also, have you tried gray water capture? Save your dishwater for the garden. I'm interested in seeing how your next garden goes. Good luck!

One thing to consider with grey water... I will be doing that as well... one thing to consider is the detergent you use.... a simple Sand filter is a good way to filter out objectionable bits.... Then the water can be used directly in the garden..

Oh and I plan to install a Saw Dust Toilet for a second bathroom. Simple arrangement. Which involves a bucket and a trash can liner... and another bucket to contain organic material like saw dust or leaves or in my case Rice hulls.... After your done you cover your poo with the sawdust.... once the bucket is full there are several options for dealing with it.

Urine should go into a separate container This will keep odor to a minimum because it is drained off to a storage container and an equal amount of water added.... This can be used directly in the garden because its very good for the plants...

Humaunure can be Composted...

http://humanurehandbook.com/manual.html

the above is a better read than I could ever do.

but my point of bring it up is for gardening and soil improvement...

deb

Back
Top Bottom