Living with a paralyzed chicken

My pullet couldn’t walk for two months but made a full recovery! So I say anything is possible. She had similar problems with grooming, even more so because she has a cross beak. She had to lay on her side 24/7 too. I felt really bad but I didn’t want to put her down. But now she is walking again and I’m so glad I didn’t.

Before:
F62017A2-7C02-48DE-A0A0-4D140FAFCEDB.jpeg

After:
1335AEC0-FBB1-429E-B2E4-300FCF1A9447.jpeg

My pullet couldn’t walk for two months but made a full recovery! So I say anything is possible. She had similar problems with grooming, even more so because she has a cross beak. She had to lay on her side 24/7 too. I felt really bad but I didn’t want to put her down. But now she is walking again and I’m so glad I didn’t.

Before:
View attachment 2425657

After:View attachment 2425658
Oh my goodness! So cute! Is she polish crossed with Easter Egger, by any chance? I have her doppelganger!

Oh my goodness! So cute! Is she polish crossed with Easter Egger, by any chance? I have her doppelganger!
I’m not sure! She was one of 12 fertile eggs given to my grandparents for their broody hen. Another chick that hatched out with her and looks similar is a silkie mix so I thought this one might be part silkie. But who knows, polish/EE is certainly plausible.
I’d love to see a picture of your hen, too!

Before:
View attachment 2425657

After:View attachment 2425658

That’s so great to see! Glad she had you caring for her. Marion is still doing well but still moves with wings more than her legs. I see her putting a little weight on the bad leg sometimes but she seems to forget to bring it with her when she moves so does a lot of interesting spin tactics. Here she is enjoying her breakfast and I just bought a small indoor hutch so she can move out of the tub but feel secure. She’s getting daily outings in the yard as well and has some garden grown pumpkin coming her way a little later!

7EE8B940-108B-46AD-9637-63209526DB61.jpeg

That’s so great to see! Glad she had you caring for her. Marion is still doing well but still moves with wings more than her legs. I see her putting a little weight on the bad leg sometimes but she seems to forget to bring it with her when she moves so does a lot of interesting spin tactics. Here she is enjoying her breakfast and I just bought a small indoor hutch so she can move out of the tub but feel secure. She’s getting daily outings in the yard as well and has some garden grown pumpkin coming her way a little later!

View attachment 2426016
You are taking really good care of her too, I wanted to make mine a sling/walker but I have no construction skills.

Thanks but it is actually crumble that she is ignoring. I’m thinking about trying a different brand or type.
A friend of mine would soak some crumble with fresh fruit or veggie juice. She has a juicer and she mixed a bit of the pulp in with the crumble as well. The added flavor got the bird to eat more. Her bird loved a red apple/carrot juice mix.

A friend of mine would soak some crumble with fresh fruit or veggie juice. She has a juicer and she mixed a bit of the pulp in with the crumble as well. The added flavor got the bird to eat more. Her bird loved a red apple/carrot juice mix.

oh that’s brilliant! I better order some as I have pumpkin spiced cider as my only juice which is prob not ideal!

Probably not ideal no. Lol But you can use a cheese grater to slice up some carrots and apples into a bit of a mush and then press it between a couple of spoons to get some juice. You wouldn't need much. If you wanted to give it a try and see if it works for her. And mix in the juice. I hope the juice idea works. Please let me know. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom