living with CRD

The vet I went to treated my flock with doxycycline. I had to dose each bird separately, but it cleared up the symptoms. I do have one hen that it left with a chronic congested sound when she breathes, but other than that she acts healthy and will be eight years old in March.

I also treated my flock with a preventative dose of Denagard once a month for approximately two years. Denagard maybe something for you to try.

Last edited:
@BrickCoop15 This sounds like an ideal outcome. Fingers crossed. :fl

@Sueby Sounds good. Symptoms are the same here, very mild. I'm currently trying to decide if a round of oral Tylan50 (which I'd have to order online) is safe or even worth it after 2 rounds of oxytetracycline powder in water failed (10 days on as prescribed by vet which seemed to be working at first, then 1 week off with reinfection and playing phone tag with vet, then another 14 days on). I don't know if they weren't absorbing the oxytetracycline, if I stopped too soon the first round and created a resistant strain during that 7 day break, or if it's infectious bronchitis instead in which case antibiotics are pointless. :confused: I'm worried prolonged symptoms will impact egg production later, but also worried about the impacts of prolonged antibiotic roulette. :barnie
I don't know anything about the oxytetracycline, sorry. But can you call the vet & ask? I always just treat with the tylan - my girls never stopped laying.

Infectious bronchitis does not come back on the same ones as happens with MG. There are various drugs used to treat symptoms of MG, but nothing treats IB virus, except time over a month or so to recover. But chickens can have IB, and possibly get a secondary disease from one of the other respiratory diseases. IB virus usually spreads through the whole flock eventually, where MG may only affect one or a few. Eye bubbles or foam and swollen eyelids tends to happen with MG, but not IB. Zoologix is a lab which will send you swabs to test 1-3 sick birds for 8 different respiratory diseases, but it costs around $80.

Tylan (tylosin) powder for the water can be obtained without a prescription from Jedds online. With antibiotics in the water, the chicken must drink enough water daily to get a proper dose.

Back
Top Bottom