Local feed Company

RanchRichey

Songster
Apr 16, 2016
Last edited:
I have no training re: animal feed, but I like the higher protein of this feed, and also like that they post a min/max for Ca++. I'd definitely give it a go. How does the price compare?? You can always offer oyster shell on the side. I've been doing that lately, no matter what my flock is on for base feed. IMO, if they need it and it's available, they'll use it. They have such a demand for calcium compared to other animals.

No matter what feed you give them, you might consider fermenting it to give you the most bang for your buck, and them the most nutrition absorption for your buck.

Last edited:
It's the best price around, they have been on the chick starter from this company and are doing well, but my husband has some crazy notion about blending his own, which would be fine, but he hasn't even fed the chicks or cleaned the coop once, I do... So, I don't have faith he'll follow through
1f61c.png

There is no way he can make his own feed that will be nutritionally balanced without it costing MUCH more. If your flock is allowed free range, in an area that provided plenty of meadow, woodland, mixed shrubbery, then it wouldn't be such an issue. But if they are being maintained in the typical coop/run/back yard, he runs risk of them developing some nutritional deficiencies that would cause some major issues.

There is no way he can make his own feed that will be nutritionally balanced without it costing MUCH more.  If your flock is allowed free range, in an area that provided plenty of meadow, woodland, mixed shrubbery, then it wouldn't be such an issue.  But if they are being maintained in the typical coop/run/back yard, he runs risk of them developing some nutritional deficiencies that would cause some major issues.

Yes. This was my concern too!

Back
Top Bottom