Local or Internet

I worked at a local electric supply store (not related to chickens, I know) for a few years out of college, and I can tell you that we were just scraping by. People could buy a product on-line or at Home Depot or Lowes for cheaper than what we were selling it -- not because we were making more money but because they were buying it cheaper from the wholesaler. In some cases, we couldn't buy products from the wholesaler for less than what Home Depot was selling them to the customer. Really.

People who shopped at our place wanted the attention we gave them and wanted to know that we knew what we were talking about and could give them advice. If your local feed store can give you that, pay the extra bucks. If not, I would try to find a local place that can. Local isn't always better, that's for sure, but if it is a viable option, I always do it. Good luck, and great discussion!

If I may ask a OT question well sorta OT , I would rather do it here then have to start a new thread.

How much does out side humidity effect these little bator's humidity, I live somewhere that can have high or moderatly low , Like right now out side the humidity is 70% but in the summer it can drop to fairly low.
hu.gif

thank you twigg

Ok Update on Getting my bator. Well the weather made the choice for me, I woke up this morning and was all set to walk down to get the bator from my local feed store which is a few blocks away, I dont drive.
It was 25 F when I got up with frost and ice covering everything <at least the snow from yetsterday melted, to bad it just froze again
tongue.png
> , So lets just say the choice between freezeing my butt off with the risk of falling on said butt over 5 min on my lap top for a internet order was an easy one.
So now I just have to wait the 5-7 shipping days and the 1-3 processing days meaning i could have my bator in 7-10 days .
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
:celebrate

Last edited:
Quote:
Here is what I would do when it arrives:

Set it up in a room with a stable air temp as you can manage. Stick a dozen cheap store eggs inside, and turn it on. Wait a few hours for the temp to stabilise. Check temp and humidity.

Calibrate your thermometer, so upfront it is accurate, and give Walmart $6 in exchange for a Sprinfield Temp/Humidity gauge.

Run it for a week, regularly checking temp and humidity, and play around with the vents and water trays to see the effect they have. You'll get the hang of it very quickly, and with no stress.

After a week, chuck the eggs and set the fertile ones. Try to get them fresh and local for your first go ... shipped eggs pose a challenge you don't need right now.

Calibrate thermometer like this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=130840

Twigg, thank you so much for all youre help hopefully you wont lose youre patience with me as sometimes I can be a slow learner and you seem to not suffer idots well. Anyways that was grate advice and I plan on following it to the letter as well as reading the instuctions that come witht he bator .
I have one question though. Well actually I have about a dozen but I will start small.
What exactly is the use of putting nonfertile store eggs in, does haveing eggs of whatever kind in the bator change the humidity or temp?

Thanks again
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom