local politics, my rant - anyone else think this was a horrible idea?

If retired teachers and other education professionals ran our school systems instead of politicians with no experience in the classroom, our schools would be a LOT different.

My biggest concern would be young children waiting for the bus in the dark, because that is a safety issue. Safety is #1 priority.

I do understand priotitizing the teenage sleep schedule over the convenience factor. I teach college students and I usally take the earliest sections. I have students that just don't seem to be able to understand easy concepts in class, but are very responsive after lunch when they come to my office hours and ask intelligent questions. The public school system should be geared towards education and not baby sitting.

Now as far as the FCAT goes, it seems that these students are focused on getting "the right answer" without understanding the material. They seem stuck on "plugging" numbers into a formula, but can't explain what they are doing or why. I'm not sure if the FCATs to blame or if its just a trend.

Quote:
That would be very good. Would be nice if the progression for principals would be for the superintendent position as well, they know the business of operating the schools.

We do have a board member from a school, librarian/counselor/teacher, but she seems to have a listening problem. At the board meeting last night when they were discussing the budget, she started an argument with another board member. She apparently wasn't listening to all of what he said, and she has also done that with parents that speak at the meetings. At the meeting last night, the argument was over one member saying he would not approve the budget if it was not stated that the money tagged for schools to hire counselors, librarians and such that they have to have at least one counselor with a masters degree in counseling. What set off this other member is that he said the principals were not doing a good job of that ( having at least one staff member with a masters in counseling for the students to talk to when they need a little extra help coping/dealing or to find out what's going on when a student goes from making A's and B's to D' and F's... ), and she took it as he said all principals were not doing a good job at all. Every time he tried to clarify that for her, she would come up with some other strange comeback. One was that she was an award winning counselor, and another was that an elementary that has no librarian, library, or counselors has been able to improve on the FCAT and is now an A school.

To me, that just shows either they have gotten good at regurgitating the info for the test, or the students were given the answers (which has been caught going on around here more than once). One of my girls is having trouble passing the FCAT, she has Dyslexia and cannot use one of her coping techniques on the FCAT as they are not allowed to write on the test. She had been taught at an early age to circle the answer on a multiple choice test so she can verify that she fills in the right answer on the answer sheet. She can pass her classes, and her teachers don't go easy on her, but she can't seem to pass this test. Last year half of her classes were specifically geared for her to pass the FCAT.

flakey chick
My biggest concern would be young children waiting for the bus in the dark, because that is a safety issue. Safety is #1 priority.

This flip would be putting middle school children on the streets as early as 6 am. But hey if they can save a buck, that seems to be the motto of some of the board members.

I had a professor recommend that I never take another class before 9 am when I first started at the local community college, after that I always made sure I got the class lists as soon as they came out, and went in for registration as early as possible with several different possible schedules so I never had a class before 9 am.​

Quote:
Yep!

Teachers do NOT baby sit. We educate. It's our job. I went to college for five years to learn how to do it well.

It's the attitude of some of the students and parents that school isn't worth their time that gives people the impression that our public schools aren't worth anything.

I'd love to send all of the students that don't WANT to learn (no parental involvement either!) and would rather run with gangs or smoke weed to a trade school/factory instead of a college preparatory high school. Let them see how the real world operates for a few years and let them learn the value of getting a college education, which requires high school as a prerequisite.

I could spend my time teaching rather than getting students back on task and writing detentions (and don't get me wrong, I am VERY good at classroom management; you don't stick around in an inner city school very long if you can't cut it).

The state tells us EXACTLY, word for word, what to teach anymore. There isn't much room for creativity at the secondary level.

The reason many of our schools are failing is NOT the teachers. It's the parents that don't check up on their kids, don't enforce curfews, don't make their kids read or get library cards, don't teach their kids manners and responsibility, and don't make sure their kids study and do their homework. Kids are only in school eight hours a day, 180 days per year. They do most of their learning AT HOME, many with inconsistent parents who see their kids as mini-adults rather than kids who need guidance, structure, and supervision.

THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM SAYING AT ALL! I am saying that making older kids get home early to babysit siblings should not be the priority when scheduling school hours. If I came across wrong I am sorry.

I live in a great district, and have 5 kids including a OCD special needs child. I know the teachers aren't sitters! Saints maybe in my son's case.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom