Locating the coop

Leavingegypt

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Soon our coop will be done, and along with the run we have in place now- I believe we will have a good set-up. The question is- where to put it. We live in NW Georgia where the summers are hot and the winters can be unpredictible but with little to no snow. We have a large lot, 1 1/2 acres with 1/2 being hevily wooded. On the left of us we have some lawn and a neighbor with very large dogs. The dogs are kenneled and we have a cow fence, but I'm afraid it might be too tempting for the dogs and they will bark or a Houdini chicken might squeeze thru into their yard. On the right side we have several large oaks and then heavy woods. No real grass to speak of because the shade of the trees. Beyond the fence are 4 empty lots, no people for quite a distance. In the front we have about 40ft until the road, spotty grass with a few more trees and my garden. In the back we have a nicely developing lawn backed by heavy woods.
I am thinking under the trees on the left would be the best. Most secluded, I can watch them from my sunroom bay window, and the trees will shade them in the summer. They will be free-range a good bit of the time with some supervision- providing they don't become curious about our neighbors.
Can anyone see a problem with locating the coop and run under a bunch of shady oaks?

My suggestion would be in a less woodsy spot where you can see them a bit more, closer to the woods and water equals closer to other predators .. They will go for shade but can handle Heat nicely as long as they have plenty of Clean water ..Its nice if they have a patch of dirt that they can scratch around and roll in, it helps keep fleas and such off them ..In one of my coops in the runner I have a few spots they like to sneak under to cool off.

I think the woods provide more shelter from predators than the open area - more places to duck and hide. We put our coop back by the tree line, and the girls prefer to forage among the underbrush over the lawn.

It Probably depends woods to woods etc.. How many critters are making home near by .. I think there are probably potential worries in any spot ..My Free Range Chickens enjoy walking to some old Pine Needles under a few big trees and rolling all around ...

It Probably depends woods to woods etc.. How many critters are making home near by .. I think there are probably potential worries in any spot ..My Free Range Chickens enjoy walking to some old Pine Needles under a few big trees and rolling all around ...

Definitely agree. The woods at my house have very few critters because of our dogs.

I guess it's true "Woods" is a relative term. This is the spot I was referring to. The old building on the left is a storage shed/workshop. Beyond that is the "woods", which really just heavily wooded with oaks, pine and dogwood. So far the chickens haven't free-ranged much beyond the edge of the wooded area. As to predators, we don't have much anymore. Lots of squirrels, a few deer- at one time we had coyotes but they've long gone when the subdivisions came. I haven't seen a possum in at least 10 years, never a raccoon. Once a year we get a snake or two. The rail fence on the front is also lined with cow fencing.

I just happened upon this thread, a year later than it was originally posted. My husband and I have an almost identical predicament and are in northeast Georgia. Leavingegypt, how did it turn out? Do you locate the coop under the trees?

I just happened upon this thread, a year later than it was originally posted. My husband and I have an almost identical predicament and are in northeast Georgia. Leavingegypt, how did it turn out? Do you locate the coop under the trees?
We ended up placing the coop near the pictured loacation but not exactly under the trees. It was too heavy to move any further. It has worked out great, especially since we ended up having the chickens totally free-ranged except for night time. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom