Lock Down Day! Anyone Else?

I am soo excited. Many years ago I had a buff O. rooster dumped at my house. I was so mad, but we didn't have a roo at the time and I took him in. Hens had about 40 of his chicks and they all looked like him.
rant.gif
I gave them away.

I kept this golden hen. I was going through a mood of not wanting that roo's desendants so even though this hen is gorgeous I gave her away too. I did keep one of her babies though. Recently I was sad I didn't have anymore of his desendants, (suprise suprise) and even concedered getting another buff o. at the feed. They didn't have any. so as you all know I was hatching out hens from a friend. and I commented on how wonderful his chickens were, and he said you gave those to me. I didn't think about it too much and as I was hatching these ones out I expected them to all be B&W since he has a CCM all his other chicks were B&W, Low and behold the large freckled egg hatched and I am staring at the golden buff again.be careful what you wish for!
ep.gif

3dchicken-love the third chick pic! Looks like egyptian mascara and is beautiful:) 3 eggs are now rocking. Do ya'll think they are just getting into position? I thought I heard pecking and/or peeping but the sound of the bator running is so much louder when u are trying to hear such a tiny noise! Funny how it seems so low until you're straining to hear chickies. I haven't seen the other egg move yet but still hopeful.

3dchicken-love the third chick pic! Looks like egyptian mascara and is beautiful:) 3 eggs are now rocking. Do ya'll think they are just getting into position? I thought I heard pecking and/or peeping but the sound of the bator running is so much louder when u are trying to hear such a tiny noise! Funny how it seems so low until you're straining to hear chickies. I haven't seen the other egg move yet but still hopeful.
Good luck! What day is it? I think the chick with the mascara is part Easter Egger. I love my mutts. They came from a flock of mostly Delawares, Some Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, and a mystery breed(s?). What do you think they each are? I think since one of them has feathered legs, it is part mystery breed. (maybe cochin or brahma?- I might have a better idea when I can see their combs better)

I am soo excited. Many years ago I had a buff O. rooster dumped at my house. I was so mad, but we didn't have a roo at the time and I took him in. Hens had about 40 of his chicks and they all looked like him.
rant.gif
I gave them away.

I kept this golden hen. I was going through a mood of not wanting that roo's desendants so even though this hen is gorgeous I gave her away too. I did keep one of her babies though. Recently I was sad I didn't have anymore of his desendants, (suprise suprise) and even concedered getting another buff o. at the feed. They didn't have any. so as you all know I was hatching out hens from a friend. and I commented on how wonderful his chickens were, and he said you gave those to me. I didn't think about it too much and as I was hatching these ones out I expected them to all be B&W since he has a CCM all his other chicks were B&W, Low and behold the large freckled egg hatched and I am staring at the golden buff again.be careful what you wish for!
ep.gif

To funny! I'm so paranoid about mine hatching because they came from my Orpington that literally fell over dead. He was a gorgeous rooster. 6 of mine are probably not fertile, since they were the day after he died but I thought I would take a chance. I actually have a shaking egg from those 6. Fingers crossed as we are on Day 22.

Oh Wow!!! Good luck!!!
Here is my total:
3 out of 12 eggs. There were three infertile, and one that died because I put in on a temperature unregulated shelf in my incubator. 8 went into lock down. Two died while internally pipping and drowned I think. Some were premature deaths (like day 17) and Some just didn't live. Here is my bunch of chickies:

My unwell chick, Bella, who has a bit of her umbilical cord sticking out, which I am fixing, and it is getting better.

Her body is still wet from the slippery polysporin I put on her bum that got everywhere. xD

My cute chick with no name yet! I think she is half Delaware half Easter Egger. :O

Royal cuteness, Sophie, the first chick to hatch.

Sophie and no name sleeping together. :D

So cute! Congrats!

Day 19, (30) RIR in lock down on this end. Started 15 Royal Palm Turkey eggs yesterday. First time for Turkeys so we'll see how it goes.

good luck on your day 22 eggs. all mine hatched, some on day 22 some on day 23 and one died after hatch because she had bellybutton connected to the lower 1/2 of the egg shell. cord was kinda thicker. I took off the shell because she kept kicking it. but left on the membrane and the connected tissue, slipped he in a sock and went back to bed. it was 2 am. she crawled out of the sock but had died in the morning.

all other chicks are doing fine and playing with 5 day olds. I took pics of everyone, but not as hatched because my camera needed charging at the time, but pretty fresh. not very clear pics, does anyone know how to make 5 wiggly babies stay still?
idunno.gif

Good luck! What day is it? I think the chick with the mascara is part Easter Egger. I love my mutts. They came from a flock of mostly Delawares, Some Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, and a mystery breed(s?). What do you think they each are? I think since one of them has feathered legs, it is part mystery breed. (maybe cochin or brahma?- I might have a better idea when I can see their combs better)
was day 19 today (3/10) and lots of rolling. 2 internal pips as we hear peeping, especially from one in particular. Has anyone ever done like the hatcheries and put a small hole in the shell at the air sac so they won't run out of air before hatching? Just wondering. There hasn't been much more movement in the biggest egg- it may have been a double yolk but I've seen it rock last night and once this afternoon. Dh is the only one that will be home tomorrow and with all the frequent peeping he will probably get to watch the early hatch:-( He acts like he isn't interested but when he thought he heard a loud peep this afternoon he went straight to the bator:) I told him he better text me pics since I played the videos with chicks hatching at the vent holes and the eggs went crazy! One rocked so hard it knocked into another one.

Back
Top Bottom