Lock Down HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaurynRose, May 8, 2016.

1. LaurynRose

LaurynRose Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Missouri
    Okay so what exactly is lockdown?

2. dmorton0427

dmorton0427 New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Its what it sounds like. For me lockdown is on day 18 i get my humidity up to 65 70 percent and then dont open my incubator till at least day 22 or all the eggs hatch

2 people like this.
  3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Well it has grown well beyond it's intended purpose, into an enigma of does and don'ts...

It's basically a mental minder that the chicks are due to hatch soon, so you should turn off or remove any automated turning devices to avoid injuring the hatching chicks... As well as potentially increase humidity so the chicks have an easier time hatching with less concern for shrink wrapping...

Beyond that most of the "you can't do this" or "you can't do that" or "don't do this" or "don't do that" are hyperbole or exaggerations with little merit... These claims should be taken with a big grain of salt, as most are no where near the black and white claimed...

You very well can open the incubator, candle the eggs, turn the eggs, touch the eggs, fill the water wells or whatever, the only real legit concern is that opening the incubator lets out humidity and at this point the higher humidity is desired... You can negate that concern by simply having a spray bottle of water near by, when you open it up and before you close it back up spray some mistings into the incubator, and the humidity will jump right back up in no time...

A bird sitting on eggs does absolutely nothing different on day 1-21, as they can't count so don't believe it's necessary for you do do anything different either ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    4 people like this.
  4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by