Lockdown! Cross your fingers...Newest pictures, page 18

Rozzie

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
So, I turned my eggs for the last time this morning. They were set at 12:01 AM November 1. So, hatch ought to be coming up on Thursday. (I'm figuring 17 days since that's what I had last time in my Brinsea.)

I candled about 3 days ago & had quite a few eggs I was pretty sure were clear. I'd moved those to one section of the incubator. I have been concerned the whole incubation period about the incubator being overpacked (I know, I know, it's my fault. I'm the one that added five extra eggs at the last minute.)

Anyway, late tonight I decided to pop the lid off and check really quickly again. It's a Brinsea Mini-Advance & recovers temp in a minute or two & humidity right after that.

I checked quickly, making sure to put the eggs back down with the same side up. I also kept them with the same side (X) up while candling to help minimize any stress.

I guess I should have trusted my instincts on the clears the other day. They were still clear, ROFL. Those that I wasn't sure about last time seem to have been a mixed bag. Some were okay. Two are still uncertain. I am 95% sure they are not developed, but they had super heavy spotting and it was really hard to see through in comparison to the others.

I am pretty sure that I have 10 developed eggs (out of 20 I set -- 10 shipped + 5 of my own.) I #'ed all eggs, and know that 9 of the developed eggs were shipped and only one is mine. That's as expected; Mr. Roo has not been active (cold, less natural light coming in, plus moulting. Thought I might get 2, though.)

Anyway, I'm much more comfortable with only 12 eggs in the incubator now. They should have room to hatch.

It's a good thing I checked-- one egg was super sloshy & one had a hairline crack. So, these might have made a horrid mess during lockdown.

I'll update when there is news! Hoping I made the right decision to candle a few hours late. It felt right in my gut so...gotta go with that!

Last edited:
fingers crossed
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! I keep looking at the incubator knowing I still have 2-3 days til hatch. I really HOPE they wait until Thursday! Wed is such a busy day in this house!

You know they are probably going to hatch Wed.
big_smile.png
Just because you need them to hatch Thursday. Be prepared just in case.

I'm going to stir the bag here. Don't think Rozzie will mind and she is going to want to join.

Chicken Thread has a New Years Day hatch going. I am thinking of doing Coturnix quail hatch then too, to bring and ring in the New Year. Think I 'll start a thread here on it. Got ya's thinking....hum....
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Oh, I don't mind! If I don't get a good hatch rate, I may join too. Oh, wait. No I won't. I won't want to wait that long.
lau.gif

Of "course" they will hatch on Wednesday. I prefer them to at least wait until 11 Wednesday night, so they will start a day early. That way I won't get to see the little fuzzballs the first day much. I knew when I set the eggs that it would be better if I could wait another day. However, with the eggs being shipped and all, I wanted to get them right in and not have any more delays.

Back
Top Bottom