Lockdown on Jumbo Brown Coturnix Quail..Pictures pg4

Almost lost one. DS who is an adult and should know better, just had to pick one up. It calmly sat in his hand then started climbing his arm. Then jumped. Fortunatly my Schnauzer was there to catch it in mid air. He set it down and proceded to clean it. Then DS picked it up and put it back, then started breathing again. I tell you, my Scruffy is one good dog with my birds, he just loves baby birds. He really thinks its his job to take care of them. Good thing cause I don't think it would have survived a 5 foot fall.

We're up to seven, with one ditzy one pipping a circle, actually pipping a dark spot off the shell, to get out of the hole. This one might take a while.

Ditzy's out, that makes 8 when it drys a bit then into the brooder and shortly after, I'm going to get some rest. We'll see what we have in the morning.

Edited to Add: Ditzy's leg deformed, could not move it much, I culled this morning. One in the brooder has really badly splayed legs. Taped them at 4 A.M. we'll see how it's doing in a few days. I still have 7, The Magnificent Seven.

Edited again to Add: No new hatches until 12 hours later. They are hatching again, we now have 9. I should have a journal for this for my future reference. Can we have member journals.

Last edited:
Now they are popping like pop corn. It really is amazing how they do that. They just keep poppingm haven't stopped since they started this time.

Edited to Add: So far Bad eggs/Chicks -2, Magnificent Seven + 23+=32+
Note to self, Magnificent 7 of 10, last to be loaded from the egg box (there they had been the 1st to be saved and loaded).

Last edited:
If your temp. fluctuates as in gets hotter than 99.5 they can hatch out sooner. If your temp. is cooler it'll take them a little longer to hatch out. I've got the GQF 1502 and one hatches right on the 18th day and one on the 16th day. You can get a small digital thermometer/hygrometer at walmart for about $6.50 and you can put it in the differant spots in your bator and find out if you have any cold spots. I've got the "original" bloodline from the game bird farm that raised them before they retired from the business last year. I'm very pricy but you get the best quality birds from us. I cull very heavily and I've just been raising the TexasA&M's and the jumbo brown coturnix. let me know if you want any of our eggs. TexasAMquaileggs.com

I have 2 of the Thermometer/Hydrometers in there, and another Thermometer. They all read the same for the most part. They are right on schedule.
These are the Jumbo Browns not the A&M's as I had thought. I think the early birds were extras he had left after the previous sale, would have been 5 days old when I got them.

I'll add you to my buddy list, to help me remember who has what I want when I want them. I do want A&M's when I have bator time. I only have 1 bator and have no plan for another. I absolutely have to incubate my own S BC eggs next because of electrical situation during the spring hatch.

Try lowering the temp of your incubator a degree and see if that helps with them hatching. It always seems to help mine, and is recommended for any gamebirds. Congrats on the babies!
smile.png

Shelleyd, they seem to be doing fine, they are coming out clean and good. I removed the 2nd batch to the brooder and finished drying them there to make more room in the incubator, (I put chicks in a small box, surrounded with kitchen shelf textured cushion to move them so they don't get a draft or chilled).

All 35 in the brooder are fine, dryed off fast, eating and drinking and sleeping. Good legs, clean from the shell. I just had a problem with the first 2 and remember that the one with the bad leg was the one that came out a hole in the shell, didn't unzip the shell. It definately had a genetic problem. The one that I banded (small strip of bandage) the leg on is already better, but I will mark it so as not to choose it for a breeder by mistake, small piece of mole tape probably.

I just looked at the bator and its about full of chicks again, so when the Humidity gets up to 80, I'll clean it out again to leave more room for the new ones hatching, when I let some moist air out.

Edited to Add: Ok, there are 53 Chicks in the brooder, so we're half way there. 1 white has hatched and 3 that are stipped with white or gold the rest so far are browns. Cool there'll be a little diversity in the growout pen.

Last edited:
Ok, Ok DH took pictures yesterday but hasn't loaded them yet. I'll get him to do that and take more before I separate them into different brooders so they can have a little more space once they are done hatching. The hatch goes on into today and tonight.

These are much quiter and calmer than my Buttercup chicks. Haven't heard a word from them once they go into the bator. Thought everyone said they were noisy, guess that comes later. So far all they do is run around eating (eating machines) drinking, snoozing and you know what. Not one peep. Not even when I lift off the top.

Morning count: So far Bad eggs/Chicks -2, Magnificent Seven + 23+20+18+12=80,
big_smile.png
only 30 MORE TO GO
smile.png
. Some are very small and I probably should not have set them, but I did. I know a couple are light as air so were not fertile or started and died early. The last 25 would have been that mornings eggs, so they will take a bit longer if they hatch as I didn't waite the 24 hours. Lets see grow out cage 2 X 6.5 with 98 Babies, not good. Hope for a 80% hatch rate or less or clean out the 4x4 multi use.

Note to self and breeder, Magnificent 7 of 10, last to be loaded from the egg box (there they had been the 1st to be saved and loaded).

Dad and I have lots of birds but I've never seen a Texas blue scale quail perching on a fence or for that matter AT ALL. I bet it'll make for a great picture if you can catch him doing it again. We've got 5 blue scales and I've got 210 in the incubatot that we've purchased. They'll be hatcing out this week. Dads got a website for his birds. www.bjsbirds.com If anyone has a website and wanna add your link on my website send info and we'll add it. This site is very edgykating.

Back
Top Bottom