Lockdown on Jumbo Brown Coturnix Quail..Pictures pg4

Baby Brown Jumbos Hatching
17739_quail_hatch.jpg

More babies
17739_quail_hatch2.jpg

Ok I'll get him to take more pics later in the brooder.
Nothing hatching since noon. But yesterday they started in around 4PM so either the hatch is done or still waiting to start up again.

Last edited:
No new eggs popping, here are the Magnificent Seven and the rest of the 78 hatchies.
Some in the bator
17739_100_0274.jpg

This one dropped to the floor and my Schnauser caught in mid air and set it down
17739_100_0278.jpg

Feed me.....No I'll find my own.... drop
17739_100_0279.jpg

Following are the Seventy Eight
17739_100_0283.jpg

2 A& M Whites
17739_100_0284.jpg

3 Yellow/White Stripes?
17739_100_0285.jpg

Fertility Rate 86%, Viability 83%

Last edited:
Quailfamah, thank you. I thought they were but wasn't sure with those strips. I have 3 so hope I have 1 male to 2 hens.
They are doing just fine. No losses yet. Can't believe they ate and wasted 2 cups of food in less than 1 day. They really are little eating machines.

Congrats on the great hatch!
clap.gif

I'm new to quail and wondered why you are hatching in the turner racks? Is it okay to do as long as the turner isn't moving? I would think that their little legs could get caught between the racks or fall through the holes. I know that it isn't reccomended for chickens but not for quails? Information is needed lol. Mine are only about 6 weeks old so I'm not ready to hatch yet but it's coming!

Last edited:
This was my first hatch with quail. But I was advised by various breeders when doing the lock down to take the turner out and put the trays with the eggs back into the bator to hatch. The turner actually holds the egg upright so they positioned good for the hatch and don't start pipping sideways, it keeps them from knocking around each other when the chicks start hatching and starting early hatches, also. It works, not one chick had unaborbed egg yolk sack.

I noticed the chicks just walked or hopped all around and over the trays. Layed against or over unhatched eggs and used them for support. I may try it with my chicken egg hatch in the fall. That one is not as important as earlier hatches for me. I had a pretty full bator, so when I removed chicks and took my third hand and pulled empty shells and with my 4th hand moved eggs and removed empty trays. I figured using help would be faster and would cut the time for that bator top to be off.

Oh, I pushed the racks together and to one end. So they wouldn't get stuck trying to go under the long end post and no they did not get stuck between the trays. They just sit and rest in the empty holes with their heads back against other eggs, then get out and fumble around to stretch those muscles.

These racks that I used are the tiny quail egg racks, not the larger and regular size chicken racks. Quail are so small they might not be able to get out of them. If you don't have quail racks, then I'd try some of the accordian fold paper or filter from an air filter, worth a try. The big breeders use something like that, the corragated roofing or some such thing.

Back
Top Bottom