Lockdown on Jumbo Brown Coturnix Quail..Pictures pg4

Buttercup Chillin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
SouthEast TX
Today is day 14 so at 4:00 P.M. lockdown began for my 110 quail eggs. Have to get their brooders ready incase I have a great hatch. I'll settle for a good hatch. I think I'll make some popcorn to celibrate that the hatch is near.

Last edited:
Hopefully it's a BIG bowl of popcorn, they shouldn't hatch until day 17 or 18. I've had some hatch on day 16, but they aren't supposed to
smile.png

Ya, I'm not expecting them to hatch until sunday or monday.
Are you familiar with Manna Pro game bird food, that's the only one I can get right now . Tuesday Purina comes in and I'll get that. But it will be 3 weeks before I can get my Lone Star game bird starter. They forgot to order it. So this batch, my 1st is going to be questionable on growth because of the different foods, I assume.

Quote:
In my experience it seems the whites are more likely to hatch on day 16, but I'm sure that depends on the bloodlines.

It also depends on the temp in the incubator. If it stays a little high all the way though the setting phase, the chicks hatch early. I have pushed chicken chicks and hatched them in 20 days in a gqf 1502 sportsman incubator with a multi-turn thermostat set at 100.5 deg. I don't recommend doing it!! but it can be done to some degree. The hatch span is from early in the 20th day to the 21st day. Hatch rates were affected (lower) by doing this along with a less uniform hatch.

ya.gif
celebrate.gif
Noon had one little thing pop. Its a baby quail. Its brown not white.
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

I bought 100 Texas A&M's but the extra's are either Wilds, Tibetan or? I know he has buttons too so....sweet surprise:eek:. yes, its about the size of my thumb.

Temps stable at 100 throughout hatch, I have 3 thermometers in the HB and all agree. But I did have problems keeping humidity up it was normalyy 33 - 42 % until I locked down. Had to fill bottom with water then add a small sponge to get humidity up to 70%, but now holding.

Looks like 4 more are pipping. Sending DH to get small bag of Manna Pro Game Bird starter. Will need it this evening for sure when I break lockdown to remove to brooder. I have patience, but its so hard.
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom