Lockdown on my first hatch!!!

Pics
No mine was pretty bad. I started out with 12 eggs, put 7 in lockdown, and had 3 hatch. I don't have a lot of hope for the other 4 but an going to give them at least one more day. I am looking forward to making improvements on my next hatch, though. I am going to try with button quail next, so the wait won't be quite as long this time.
Do you assist chicks on their backs during a hatch? Will they die if they stay accidentally flipped over?

I did candle the rest and there is no change. I am almost absolutely certain they are gone.

I also woke up this morning and went to check on my special needs chick. I had only put a small cup with a very thin layer of water for it to drink. Actually it was about 1/2 an inch of the bottom part of a red plastic cup I had cut off and put maybe 2 mm of water in the bottom, but apparently it was just enough for it to drown. I guess that is another lesson learned. The other two were doing just fine this morning thank goodness.
Oh what terrible luck! The cup sounded great, but needed a rock in it. . So sorry!

My lil fluffs. My broody has four eggs developing under her so hopefully they will have some siblings in a few days.

I also confirmed the others were gone. They had developed to the point of nearly hatching. Two still had a lot of yolk left to absorb. One had the yolk absorbed but didn’t have its head turned. The last one was able to position its head to pip but never did.

Attachments

• F4DD4BEE-456B-472E-976F-74AD8043FCF4.jpeg
    F4DD4BEE-456B-472E-976F-74AD8043FCF4.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 3
  • B9EFCE62-A47E-4219-9D38-52E93A70D014.jpeg
    B9EFCE62-A47E-4219-9D38-52E93A70D014.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 2
  • FE0694A4-A33E-42FB-9209-133ABC87BD36.jpeg
    FE0694A4-A33E-42FB-9209-133ABC87BD36.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 2
Mine didn’t stay long. It flopped around alot trying to get its footing. It mostly just laid on its tummy.

And I barely slept the first night I put them in the brooder because I was so afraid something would happen to them. Its easier now that they are a few days old and seem to be doing good.

My lil fluffs. My broody has four eggs developing under her so hopefully they will have some siblings in a few days.

I also confirmed the others were gone. They had developed to the point of nearly hatching. Two still had a lot of yolk left to absorb. One had the yolk absorbed but didn’t have its head turned. The last one was able to position its head to pip but never did.
They are so pretty!!! Sorry about your losses.

Back
Top Bottom