lockdown questions before lockdown

sloallie10

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
CA
I have two bators due the 20th and the 26th. I am a newbie to incubating.
The one due on the 20th is a LG w/o a automatic egg turner, with 12 shipped eggs.
The one due on the 26th is a HB w/ automatic egg turner, with 16 non shipped eggs.
I ahve a few questions regarding both bators.
For the LG w/o auto turner: I do not have a humitifier. But I am planning on adding water so all the little resivoiors are filled up, AND adding a wet rag or sponge, SOUND OK SO FAR? I am planning on adding all this water the the bator on day 18 correct? Also, I am planning on opening BOTH vent holes, on day 18, correct? Now, what if my temp goes down? Do i bump it back up?

For the HB w/ auto turner: I have the same questions above ^ regarding this incubator too. Do I need to do all of the stuff^ to this bator too? Also, i am planning on turning off the auto turner on day 18. DO i romove the eggs from the turner or do i just turn it off and let them be?

thanks guys

I would appreciate it if you guys would reply with your info, advice and any tips!!
smile.png

Take out the turner at lockdown. Fill all the water channels. I usually get a pack of 4 dollar tree sponges and set one under the vent hole at the back and another under the vent hole at the front. You can cut them in half if the bator is too full. If you need to add water you can just pull out the plugs and use a straw or medicine dropper to add water to the sponges, then replace the plugs. Did you have the vent plugs out through your incubation? They should be out for the first 18 days for air circulation, and in for lockdown. After the chicks start to pip your humidity will probably spike. You can take out 1 vent plug till it goes down. I used to flip the plug upside down and set it over the hole so just a little bit of air gets in/out. You don't want the humidity to get too high.

Good luck!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Thanks! And yes i haave had the vent holes plugged in for this whole time. Also how will i know if my humitityis too low or too high w/o a humitifier?

Walmart has a digital in door out door thermometer that also measures the humidity, not a humidifier.........
I have a LG incubator without a fan, I had to have both plugs out throughout incubation, I only added plug back to bring up humidity to 65 I tried for 70% but couldn't get it that high but they still hatched. I had to fill the the trays full with warm water and add 1 rag just to get it that high when I put the second plug in it didn't help so I left it out to level out my temperature with one still plugged.

The one at walmart runs around 6.99 it works really good.

Good Luck

the lgs are really good at drowning chicks! I forgot about this when I started to incubate again a few months back. My first hatch was awful because I kept my humidity at like 55% durring incubation and then 70 % at hatch. I think I only got like 4 eggs out of 20 to hatch. Then I remembered half way through the second hatch that I use to not add water only to one of the little channels and keep all vent plugs out all the time (still air). so the second hatch was a little better but I didnt catch thoes till half way through...I got 5 eggs out of 12 to hatch. This last hatch, I hardly added any water at all the whole time and I got 9 eggs out of 11 to hatch. My humidity only read like 30-35% durring incubation and like 50% at hatch and they did great. So with the styrofoam still air incubators....stop adding so much water and your hatch rates will go up! Mine did anyhow and it use to work for me before. I use to be abe to hatch anything and everything in thoes cheap things and now I am remembering why. No red plugs and very little water. I have more due next week, I cant wait to see how thoes go. JEN

Quote:
Darn. I did this once in my LG and every chick either drowned or was mushy. Not enough air circulation during incubation. Take the vent plugs out now and leave them out till lockdown. Hopefully that will be enough!
fl.gif
Good luck!

ETA: Wait.....I just realized you didn't say if they are forced air or still air incubators. Might be ok with forced air.

Last edited:
Quote:
So is it ok if I have only been having water in one little channel, because that is what I have been doing.. Im really nervous now like i have done everything wrong!! Should i Open both vent plugs NOW, and add them back during lockdown?

And it is a still air in the bATOR DUE the 20th.

Also for the Hb with circulated air, do I open the vent holes as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still need the answer questioned:
For my bator with auto turner, Is it really nessasiry to take out the turner for lockdown? If i do the screen is not flat and it will go up and im not sure how to fix that..
hu.gif

come on guys!

yes take the turner out if you dont want the eggs to move you can cut the tops off some styrofoam cups put them in the incubator and put the eggs in the center of each top it will keep the eggs from moving around

Back
Top Bottom