Lockdown with Robo's eggs *They're hatching*

Quote:
I've yet to understand and see indications of this being true, Robo. My supplier carries Nutrena Quail/Turkey Starter with 30% protein, and it's medicated. I've never seen any symptoms of this being a bad feed for my chicks. I've even given it to grown "breeding" birds, and have never seen any "red flags" indicating problems. I keep seeing "medicated feed is bad" on here, but apparently, I'm "lucking out" of the negative impact. A friend, whom I got my first chicks from a couple of years ago, starts all of his quail chicks out on this, and he's never had any issues that made him question the medicated feed as being harmful (and he's got poulty of all kinds, including Bobwhites galore. Just searching for some backing that "medicated is bad"..........

Supposedly it causes fertility issues in adult birds but I feed mine medicated also and haven't had any problems. quaillady has 9 of 12 eggs growing in her bator from this season from my birds, and she even dropped one
smile.png

Quote:
I've yet to understand and see indications of this being true, Robo. My supplier carries Nutrena Quail/Turkey Starter with 30% protein, and it's medicated. I've never seen any symptoms of this being a bad feed for my chicks. I've even given it to grown "breeding" birds, and have never seen any "red flags" indicating problems. I keep seeing "medicated feed is bad" on here, but apparently, I'm "lucking out" of the negative impact. A friend, whom I got my first chicks from a couple of years ago, starts all of his quail chicks out on this, and he's never had any issues that made him question the medicated feed as being harmful (and he's got poulty of all kinds, including Bobwhites galore. Just searching for some backing that "medicated is bad"..........

Supposedly it causes fertility issues in adult birds but I feed mine medicated also and haven't had any problems. quaillady has 9 of 12 eggs growing in her bator from this season from my birds, and she even dropped one
smile.png

That's my point. Last year, I either fed my breeders straight 30% medicated, or 30% protein medicated Quail/Turkey Starter, mixed 50/50 with Breeder/Finisher ..... and had no complaints in fertility, based on the fertility rates I was getting. No, I wasn't gettin 100%, but hey, who can anticipate that if you hatch more than ~50 eggs a year.

Last edited:
Most Of The "fertility Issues" And "renal Failure Issues" Are Seen In Your Pigmy Quail (buttons) Since Their Demure Size Gets Them Into The Lethal Dose Range For The Meds Much More Easily. For Bobs, Especially If Birds Are In A Ground Pen, Medicated Feed Is Recommended Periodically. Bobs Are Especially Prone To Enteritis And Encephalitis More So Than Other Speces

Quote:

I fed my Buttons on medicated turket starter from day one, they just started laying the other day and I switched them onto a chicken layer ration with some soy flour mixed in for extra protien.

Someone told me that the issue with medicated feed is because there is people that are antibiotic allergic and they can not consume eggs or meat from birds under this medications

May be true or not

Quote:
THATS A CERTAIN POSSIBILITY DEPENDING ON THE MEDICATION... 2 TYPES ARE USED IN THE USA. A COCCYSTAT CALLED AMPROLIUM (? SP) AND AN ANTIBIOTIC FORM... USUALLY ERYTHROMYCIN OR BACITRACIN..... THE AMPROLIUM IS NOT APPROVED FOR USE ON QUAIL BY THE FDA AND THE STERILITY AND RENAL FAILURE ISSUES WERE THE CAUSE, HOWEVER IT IS APPROVED FOR USE ON PHEASANTS... USUALLY THESE FORMULAS ARE LABELED AS PHEASANT STARTER, OR HAVE A FINE PRINT SOMEWHERE ON THE TAG THAT CLEARLY STATES "NOT FOR USE WITH QUAIL" OR SOMETHING TO THE FACT OF "FOR PHEASANT USE ONLY"

MANY ARGUMENTS CAN BE MADE FOR NOT USING MEDICATED FEED... "I DONT WANT ANY UNNECESSARY DRUGS OR CHEMICALS IN MY FOOD" IS 1 AND VERY CLOSE TO YOUR QUESTION JM93030. AND THEN THERES THE "IF I USE IT UNNECESSARILY WILL THEY BECOME IMMUNE TO THE MEDS AND WONT WORK WHEN I NEED THEM?" ONE... AND AGAIN THE ANSWER IS YES, AS WELL AS BIOLOGICAL INFECTIVE AGENTS BECOME DRUG RESISTANT, OR GET IMMUNE TO THE DRUG AS WELL.
WHOS RIGHT AND WHO'S WRONG--- THATS LIKE A CHICKEN OR EGG QUESTION RIGHT THERE! WE MAY NEVER KNOW, ULTIMATELY FOR MANY ITS PERSONAL CHOICE, FOR SOME THE AVAILABLE PRODUCTS MAKE THAT CHOICE FOR US... THERE ARE MANY PLACES IN THE USA WHERE MEDICATED GBS IS ALL THATS AVAILABLE TO THEM, AND OTHERS WHERE YOU CANNOT GET MEDICATED...

CHICKIE BOOBOO I HAVE NO CLUE WHATS AVAILABLE FOR USE IN FEED DRUG/ CHEMICAL-WISE IN CANADA SO I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO ADVICE ON YOUR CHOICES
hu.gif

Quote:
Not true, the amount of medication in the eggs is very minimal almost to the point of being non-existent.

THEN WHY IS THERE A MEAT OR EGG WITHDRAWL TIME FOR MEDS?

Getting Back To The Basis Of This String....

Sonjab Sounds Like You're Pretty Geared Up For The New Arrivals, Only 1 Question-- Drown Proof Water System?

Quote:
Not true, the amount of medication in the eggs is very minimal almost to the point of being non-existent.

THEN WHY IS THERE A MEAT OR EGG WITHDRAWL TIME FOR MEDS?

Depends on the meds, I haven't seen anything stating that on medicated feeds and I've been told by veterinarians that medication in feeds doesn't pass to the egg enough to be a problem.

ETA: Most egg/meat withdrawal periods are listed on meds that you ADD to the feed or water. I assume these would be much higher doses than the ones in the feed since you are treating an illness and not preventing it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom