lockdown

romeoz13

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Im on day 8...getting closer to lockdown....I know its a little early but I want to get the knowledge before lockdown. Right now I have the brinsea incubator, holds 7 eggs, they turn automatically but at day 18 I know they stop turning and lockdown starts. So at lockdown I add a little more water to get humidty to 65% and do I take the tray out and put them on the flat surface since they wont be turning anymore? Should I put anything under the chicks so they dont slip when they hatch. Also, how long do I need to keep them in the incubator before I can put them in my brooder. I bought the Brinsea EcoGlow Brooder to keep them warm. Thanks

It's always best to be prepared.:thumbsup. I don't have the Brinsea mini but I do believe you take the turning plate out and lay your eggs on their sides. Yes I have read somewhere about putting a cloth under the eggs so they don't slip when they hatch. When to take them out? I always leave mine in there until the hatch is over it can be 24 hours you will have to resist the temptation of taking them out. They can survive upto 3 days after hatching with out food and water they live off the yolk they absorb before hatching. I would also recommend that you put a cover over the water pots in the incubator so the chicks don't drown themselves I think the mini incubator should have come with grill type cover. Good luck.http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/ Also on this link she does a very good step by step on lockdown.

Last edited:
You have a nice incubator. I use that one as well. At day 18 I added some water to the center pot. It was way too much, This bator hold its humidity very well. I did not remove the egg turner. I let the hatchies use it for traction. If you remove it, put something down for traction without covering you water well. I set 7 eggs, 2 were duds and I was pretty sure they were. 5 hatched with 2 survivors that will be moving outside in a few days. I had one baby born with an umbilical hernia that did not make it and 1 sticky chick I could possibly have saved if I had know how at the time. After they all hatched, I had to vent the darn thing so the littles could dry out. My experience with this bator is that it holds temp and humidity very well. I weighed and candled my eggs and went on lockdown at day 18. Day 19 and 20 all my littles hatched. The biggest problem is leaving well enough alone and letting them do their thing. Have fun and good luck with the littles.

Alice

I have noticed that I filled one half of the tub with water and it was to much humidity. I had to take almost all the water out to keep it at 45-50 % humidity. Any more water it gets to 65%. Does this sound about right with you too? how much water do you put in? Thanks

I use no water at all until lockdown at day 18. Then add water to well. I used way too much water. Half of what I did would have been plenty as it took my chooks all day to dry. maybe about 1/3 of the well would be enough at lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom