Loft/Pen setup for non flying breeds.

rittert3

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Ks (Manhattan area)
I want to setup a mixed breed loft for Russian Tumbles, Brunner Pouters, Parlor Rollers, and Runts or AGH. I was wondering how to set up for the non-flying breeds could they get to an elevated nest? I will add more later.

Last edited:
Also wondering if this would be to much variance to keep togather? ( I would plan seperate training pens for the pouters) but wondering about equipment with the size differences, and also wondering wether or not to have it full height "walk in" of raised with a HWC floor.

Hey Ritter, it's surprising how well most birds use ramps. They can be as simple as a branch tied at an angle to a perch. However, some pigeons out of some breeds never seem to get the hang of perching. A full ramp may be needed with platforms for them. A good way to monitor if a bird is reaching the food and water is to put flour/cornstarch/etc in front of the container to check for tracks. This only works for single birds though, otherwise you have to watch to ensure this. XP

breeds like parlors can be raised in hutch type cages....or floors of a loft. then you need to watch the parlor do get picked on by other birds.

I assume it would be a bad Idea to put a heavy breed like runts on wire? I'm thinking it would be better to just have sepperate pens for the breeds rather that one bit loft/pen.

Back
Top Bottom