1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lone chick advice Please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daisychick, Feb 16, 2009.

1. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Well out of my test hatch in my new bator I got 1 chick! She is doing great...but I was wondering if any of you have raise a lone chick and have any advice or tricks to make her happier.

I have a batch under a broody that are due March 3 that would give her some friends...but that seems like a long time from now.

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    You could put a stuffed animal in with her, so she can cuddle with it.[​IMG]

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    at this stage just food and water do like the stuff animal idea tho. We use to put a clock in with kittens long ago.

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I am raising a lone chick right now too. I put a stuffed animal in with her plus a mirror so she would know what a chicken looks like and thinks she has a friend. Right now she regards me as her ma hen. She is very quiet until she sees me and then she has to tell me all about it. At 6 weeks, she is doing quite well to my surprise.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Time for a quick trip to the nearest feed store. You need at least 1 more!!

6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:I agree. But, they don't sell chickens her where I live until late spring. I tried to give her to someone who already had chicks but no takers so I did the best I could with her. She is fine. It can be done. I do not know how she will do with other chickens though. I may have a house chicken on my hands. [​IMG]

7. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Trust me, that's fine. [​IMG]

I raised my chickens full time in the house since they were little, and they just grew up with each other.

Until they were quite big, then I only started putting them out small parts of the day, until they got used to that.

Now, they live out full time, and are very happy.

My hen is very inviting to new chickens, but the rooster can be very aggresive towards newbies......

I have considered putting him on the plate, but I just love him WAY too much!!!

I would suggest you try the fluffy toy thing, that may just keep him happy till the others hatch.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. [​IMG]

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    use the mirror,
    that gives her company . and the small clock will do the trick. we have used both.

9. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I have a 10 gallon aquarium, I use it for only chicks . Put it in a busy room, so it can see a lot of action and not get too goofy!
    Also the stuffed toy, mirror and lots of cuddles.

10. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    She is in a 10 gal aquarium right now in a busy room and she seems to be doing fine. I am trying to find her a buddy but our feedstore doesn't get chicks till April. But I will keep looking. By time I find one I bet my other chicks will be hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by