Lone chick advice Please!

daisychick

Incubator Tetris Master Consultant
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Colorado
Well out of my test hatch in my new bator I got 1 chick! She is doing great...but I was wondering if any of you have raise a lone chick and have any advice or tricks to make her happier.

I have a batch under a broody that are due March 3 that would give her some friends...but that seems like a long time from now.

You could put a stuffed animal in with her, so she can cuddle with it.
smile.png

I am raising a lone chick right now too. I put a stuffed animal in with her plus a mirror so she would know what a chicken looks like and thinks she has a friend. Right now she regards me as her ma hen. She is very quiet until she sees me and then she has to tell me all about it. At 6 weeks, she is doing quite well to my surprise.

Quote:
I agree. But, they don't sell chickens her where I live until late spring. I tried to give her to someone who already had chicks but no takers so I did the best I could with her. She is fine. It can be done. I do not know how she will do with other chickens though. I may have a house chicken on my hands.
big_smile.png

Trust me, that's fine.
smile.png

I raised my chickens full time in the house since they were little, and they just grew up with each other.

Until they were quite big, then I only started putting them out small parts of the day, until they got used to that.

Now, they live out full time, and are very happy.

My hen is very inviting to new chickens, but the rooster can be very aggresive towards newbies......

I have considered putting him on the plate, but I just love him WAY too much!!!

I would suggest you try the fluffy toy thing, that may just keep him happy till the others hatch.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
wink.png

I have a 10 gallon aquarium, I use it for only chicks . Put it in a busy room, so it can see a lot of action and not get too goofy!
Also the stuffed toy, mirror and lots of cuddles.

She is in a 10 gal aquarium right now in a busy room and she seems to be doing fine. I am trying to find her a buddy but our feedstore doesn't get chicks till April. But I will keep looking. By time I find one I bet my other chicks will be hatched.

Back
Top Bottom