1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lone chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GatsbysGirl, Mar 25, 2013.

1. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    So out of my dozen eggs only 2 hatched and one of those died. I found out my thermometer was not accurate even though I just bought it, calibrated it like I was supposed to but I digress.

So I have 1 baby chick. Pipped on Friday and is now in a makeshift brooder in the house where it can stay much warmer. Of course it spent most of yesterday in my hoodie curled up with me.

Is there anything I can do for a lone chick. Does it screw up development? It is eating and drinking just fine. Busy little thing and talkative. I just feel so bad it's all alone. Would a stuffed animal help like it does with puppies? It has warmth, food and water and of course my hoodie and me but I didn't know if there was anything else I could do for it.

2. rainbowsald

rainbowsald Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    can you get another chick? I heard it was bad for them to be alone... but maybe if you keep holding it she/he wont mind.

3. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
  4. chickendude9

chickendude9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Snohomish, WA.
    At least theres no pecking order issues![​IMG] But i would just go and buy a friend for him/her for 2.99

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by