Lone chicken

Chickens are flock animals. It's not ideal to keep a lone bird. You are gonna have to spend more time with her but it's better to try to find her a buddy. Maybe look for somebody that is having to rehome some birds. Might not be a breed you want but at least you can get something faster until you can, then you can always butcher them when you do.

Chickens are flock animals. It's not ideal to keep a lone bird. You are gonna have to spend more time with her but it's better to try to find her a buddy. Maybe look for somebody that is having to rehome some birds. Might not be a breed you want but at least you can get something faster until you can, then you can always butcher them when you do.
I will see what I can find. Thanks so much.

Even if she is skittish, you could just go out and talk to her and hang out with her a couple times a day, you don't need to snuggle her or anything, just give her some extra attention. Is she free ranged or in a run? Maybe if she is free ranged if you could move her to an enclosure until you are able to get chicks she would likely be and feel a little more safe/secure

Even if she is skittish, you could just go out and talk to her and hang out with her a couple times a day, you don't need to snuggle her or anything, just give her some extra attention. Is she free ranged or in a run? Maybe if she is free ranged if you could move her to an enclosure until you are able to get chicks she would likely be and feel a little more safe/secure
We have a large fenced chicken yard with an enclosed coop and run area within. She is inside now with a plate of left over pea soup with meal worms on top. A little spoiled... :)

Agreed your hen will likely need some friends. If you decide to go the craigslist route be careful. Getting birds from unknown sources often can bring diseases into your flock. Even though you only have a flock of one at the moment! Honestly I think you would be better off waiting until you can get some chicks.😊

I have lost 2 of my three hens in two months. Will my only hen be ok for the winter alone? I can get chicks in the spring. I’m in Maryland and it’s cold. Do I need to find her new roommates right away? I’ve had chickens for 12 years and have never had this happen. Must have been a hawk. 😢
As long as she is somewhere with some sort of heat such as a heat lamp and she doesn't get too cold I believe she will make it through the winter. She might need a little extra love from you but that should get her through it. I have some chickens that I would bring you a couple but I live in Tennessee. Sorry for your losses and hope you keep us updated on how she does.

Back
Top Bottom