Lone Duck (female mallard)

denaker

Hatching
Jul 26, 2019
I live in Anderson, IN. I have a lone female mallard in my lake. I was worried about her being all alone, but then she started hanging out with the geese. The geese don't seem to mind too much. She looks small so I don't think she's very old. I know she was not born here so she either walked or flew in. However, I have never seen her even try to fly.

For a while, there were two ducks in my lake and they visited every day. The first time I saw the lone duck she was trying to make friends with the couple. They would not have anything to do with her. Then they took off and she's been in my lake alone ever since (about 2 months).

Do you think she will be ok?

Welcome to BYC @denaker Mallards fly real well unless injured or sick and since she has been there 2 months and is still there I'd say she isn't sick. Hanging out with the geese though will help her be better protected if they hang around 24/7. Do the geese and ducks migrate south? she may leave in the fall with the rest. Hopefully some Mallards flying over will stop by eventually.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC @denaker Mallards fly real well unless injured or sick and since she has been there 2 months and is still there I'd say she isn't sick. Hanging out with the geese though will help her be better protected if they hang around 24/7. Do the geese and ducks migrate south? she may leave in the fall with the rest. Hopefully some Mallards flying over will stop by eventually.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the ducks and geese usually leave toward the end of summer/fall. She's not with the Geese 24/7, but much of the day and at night. The Geese "tolerate" her. What's funny is that the Geese will snip at each other, but they don't go after the duck (that I've noticed).

Back
Top Bottom