Lone female button quail - can I make her happy by herself?

clownpooles

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2021
Here is my article that I posted about her previously for some context: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rescued-3-week-old-quail-need-advice.1490455/

It turns out she’s an adult button quail. Her legs don’t quite work and she’s slowly getting healthier - I would love to eventually get her a friend but I feel it’s not safe with how weak she is.

I got her to peep yesterday by playing a button quail video on YouTube but part of me feels bad like that’s just taunting her. What might lift her spirits while she heals/recovers alone in her enclosure?

Here is my article that I posted about her previously for some context: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rescued-3-week-old-quail-need-advice.1490455/

It turns out she’s an adult button quail. Her legs don’t quite work and she’s slowly getting healthier - I would love to eventually get her a friend but I feel it’s not safe with how weak she is.

I got her to peep yesterday by playing a button quail video on YouTube but part of me feels bad like that’s just taunting her. What might lift her spirits while she heals/recovers alone in her enclosure?
You could always get her a friend and just seperate them with some mesh until she's stronger? That way they can see and hear each other and even sit together against the mesh if they like, but she's protected from anything that might cause her harm :)

Update: After a little over 1 week she is doing much better. She regularly peeps, I got her a mirror and a little dust bath that she seems to enjoy, and she eats and drinks like a champ. Her balance is still off and she's not mobile yet (she also has a very extreme wing clip job that was done on her I've realized that I think is causing balance issues). Even though she's still unable to walk, she does now stand on a regular basis and takes a few steps at a time before toppling over. She practically runs around her enclosure so I can see that she's building strength. So she's improving. She also had a few bald spots on her where I can see new feathers sprouting. I give her sunlight by the window whenever I can and give her egg, mealworms, chick crumble, some grit and some fresh arugula daily. I've named her Dot and she's part of our family now. <3

Update: After a little over 1 week she is doing much better. She regularly peeps, I got her a mirror and a little dust bath that she seems to enjoy, and she eats and drinks like a champ. Her balance is still off and she's not mobile yet (she also has a very extreme wing clip job that was done on her I've realized that I think is causing balance issues). Even though she's still unable to walk, she does now stand on a regular basis and takes a few steps at a time before toppling over. She practically runs around her enclosure so I can see that she's building strength. So she's improving. She also had a few bald spots on her where I can see new feathers sprouting. I give her sunlight by the window whenever I can and give her egg, mealworms, chick crumble, some grit and some fresh arugula daily. I've named her Dot and she's part of our family now. <3
Aww, that's lovely to hear, and so great that you've gotten to the bottom of some of the issues (like the wing clip). Are you still going to get her a friend?

I’ve noticed w/ quail you need at least 2 or they get so lonely they die. Just my observation w/ them.

Back
Top Bottom