Lonely Chick :( Please Help!!!

Good advice from aart. You can expect the baby to get pecked. But don't be too over protective. Some people in your situation have been surprised to see their small single hold its own against the bigger chicks and even, on some occasions, become quite the assertive one.

In other cases, an older chick may take the younger one under its wing, literally. You won't know how they will adjust unless you let them try. One peck isn't going to kill a chick, and it's quite normal protocol for the new comer to receive a peck on the forehead, and then all is forgiven. Chicks have an instinctive drive to want to band together as a single unit. By putting this off and being over protective, you are losing this window of opportunity.

So, we have nothing else to do besides play hookie with the chick. Funny. She's obviously looking for mum, why not just let them decide who mum will be. They are probably all curious. Have fun juggling chick around.

YAY!!! we put them together, the slightly bigger one is hostile if they are near each other but the RIR has her under her wing! the little chick is chirping happily! should we leave them in the same cage? thanks!!

YAY!!! we put them together, the slightly bigger one is hostile if they are near each other but the RIR has her under her wing! the little chick is chirping happily! should we leave them in the same cage? thanks!!
Or put the one that cuddled up to her with her in the other cage.
You'll have to to play mix and match and use your best judgement as to who stays in which cage.
Are cages next to each other and only separated by wire so they can all see each other....can you post pics?
Do both cages have heat or just the little ones?

Last edited:
I would leave the RIR chick with the baby over night. But keep all of the chicks where they are in close proximity.

Tomorrow, put them all together again. Observe. You will get a gist of what they will do with the baby in a couple hours. If you have any bullies, it will become apparent during these first few hours.

The RIR may become the baby's protector. It's happened. The others may be more accepting of the baby if that happens. You never know until you try it. But don't turn your back on the bunch tomorrow while this little experiment is taking place. If you do have a bully going after the baby, give it a quick poke on the back. That may be all that's needed.

Also, having as large a space as possible will enhance your probabilities of everyone getting along. I would rig up a safe pen in the run for all of them. I would use a heating pad cave for the baby since the older chicks may not need much in the way of heat, at least during the day. You could still bring them all back inside the brooder at night.

Thanks i will leave the RIR with the baby leghorn chick tonight in the bunny cage.(look below) the other one will be in a cage next to her.
big_smile.png

i may be able to post pics later... the first cage is a bunny cage with a about 3-4 inch plastic barrier so nothing can get out, pine shaving floor. the second is a dog crate with a pellet floor.
the bunny cage has 2 heat lamps over the top, some light gets to the dog crate. the bunny cage currently houses the baby.

Last edited:
Thanks i will leave the RIR with the baby leghorn chick tonight in the bunny cage.(look below) the other one will be in a cage next to her.
big_smile.png

i may be able to post pics later... the first cage is a bunny cage with a about 3-4 inch plastic barrier so nothing can get out, pine shaving floor. the second is a dog crate with a pellet floor.
the bunny cage has 2 heat lamps over the top, some light gets to the dog crate. the bunny cage currently houses the baby.
Make sure both birds can get away from too much heat in that bunny cage.

Please do post pictures of the bunny cage set up. Since you're in southern California, I question the need for two heat lamps. Remember, a five week old is at the very end of its heat needs. It could easily suffer heat sickness if it is trapped under a heat lamp. This is why I strongly recommend you rig up a heating pad cave for the baby. That way, the baby can satisfy its needs for heat and the older chick won't be affected.

Back
Top Bottom