Lonely chick

stephanier756

In the Brooder
May 5, 2017
Arkansas
So I have one 3 day old chick that is all alone and chirping loudly. I have put a mirror and a feather boa for the little chick, but I was just wondering if I should go to the store and buy some friends for it. They obviously won't be the same age so will it be a problem to put them together.

So I have one 3 day old chick that is all alone and chirping loudly. I have put a mirror and a feather boa for the little chick, but I was just wondering if I should go to the store and buy some friends for it. They obviously won't be the same age so will it be a problem to put them together.
Where did you get the 3 day old chick?

Yes, get it some little friends. They don't need to be exactly the same age as long as they're all approximately similar in size, not twice as big, for example.

Meanwhile, try a heating pad cave setup with some rolled up socks placed inside with the chick to snuggle with.

When you bring the new chicks home, remove the rolled socks and stick the chicks under the heating pad. It'll be sort of like Pinocchio turning into a live boy only the socks will turn into live chicks. What's not to like?

Oh, that is so sad. I would get a couple of chicks to keep the little one company if I knew where to get some about the same age that I knew was free from illnesses.
We picked up 6 little chicks from Atwood's (state law required 6)
My little chicken flock went from 4 to 10 and now is 17
But I love them all.

We picked up 6 little chicks from Atwood's (state law required 6)
My little chicken flock went from 4 to 10 and now is 17
But I love them all.
I started with 10 baby chicks when they were a couple of weeks old I bought 11 more. Then my husband wanted some bantam chicks. So I ordered 15 bantams from Murray McMurray. I lost 4 of the bantam chicks with in 12 hours. I now have 32 chicks. I have had so much fun learning about them as they grow and change.

Yes, get it some little friends. They don't need to be exactly the same age as long as they're all approximately similar in size, not twice as big, for example.

Meanwhile, try a heating pad cave setup with some rolled up socks placed inside with the chick to snuggle with.

When you bring the new chicks home, remove the rolled socks and stick the chicks under the heating pad. It'll be sort of like Pinocchio turning into a live boy only the socks will turn into live chicks. What's not to like?

My first chick just hatched I wasn't expecting the to hatch until the 25th of May . I am hatching a number of eggs for a friend. will any heating pad work and should I give him/her food and water now or wait 24 hrs?

Thks Mraya

Most folks with an incubator simply keep hatched chicks inside for the first 24 hours, but any heating pad will work as long as it will remain on and not automatically shut off after a couple hours. Make sure it's rigged properly to make direct contact with the chick's back as it squats, but provide easy egress. Make sure it can't get stuck in between steel frame and pad causing suffocation, easily done by enclosing both pad and frame in a pillowcase firmly secured.

Newly hatched chicks are not usually interested in food and water for 24 to 48 hours, but it's wise to make food and water available.

Most folks with an incubator simply keep hatched chicks inside for the first 24 hours, but any heating pad will work as long as it will remain on and not automatically shut off after a couple hours. Make sure it's rigged properly to make direct contact with the chick's back as it squats, but provide easy egress. Make sure it can't get stuck in between steel frame and pad causing suffocation, easily done by enclosing both pad and frame in a pillowcase firmly secured.

Newly hatched chicks are not usually interested in food and water for 24 to 48 hours, but it's wise to make food and water available.

Thank you for your advice I had intended to wait the 24 to 48 hours until the chick was dry I am using an incubator with multiple trays I went in this morning to check the humidity and I heard peeping and the chick had fallen to the bottom of the machine. This chick hatched early.

Back
Top Bottom