Lonely chick

meggers32

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Vernon, WA
Hi there everybody,

I am nursing back to health the cutest little chick that my dog pounced on:barnie! It was hurt, in shock and we didn't think that it was going to make it. Well, a week later it is doing so well, using it's leg, eating and drinking a lot and chirping up a storm. We separated her from the rest of the chicks and momma because she was so badly hurt, but all she does now is chirp and chirp and chirp. Is she lonely? Looking for siblings and momma? I don't know, but when we check on her, she calms down. We are keeping her in a small carrier, with nice soft towels, a small stuffed animal, food and water and a little roost (which she uses, just so funny!) What else can I do to make her happy until she is strong enough to go back with mom and sibs? She definately does not walk normally, so I am also concerned about whether or not she should go back with the others. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sounds like you have your bases covered, but have you considered putting one of her siblings in with her? Maybe switch the siblings out daily so no one misses mom too much, but then the chick might not be quite so lonely.

I think she is lonely. I would definitely put a sib with her. We had a single chick hatch and she was beside herself with loneliness. She peeped and screamed all the time and was clearly distressed. One other chick with her will definitely help your little one.
smile.png

Thanks for the replies, it always helps. I have a unique situation with caring for this little one, though. A friend of mine brought all of the sibs and momma to my neighbor, and because she is gone all day, she is not able to care for it, like it needs. So, I said I would care for it until it is big and strong enough to go back with mom, so the sibs are not with me at my house. However, my neighbor is close and I could always just go pick one up and borrow for a little while. How would that chick treat the little one? It is doing soooo much better, just a little hobbling around. I am afraid that they would pick on it? Would a little picking on be better than loneliness? Thanks-

Back
Top Bottom