lonely chicks?

MakelaNJoe

Chirping
Apr 26, 2015
Northern California
I originally bought 3 chicks together now 9 weeks. 2 silkie X polish 1 OEG well yesterday i lost my OEG to unfortunate circumstances, the 2 seem to be peeping looking for their little friend they made lots of noise lastnight and still seem to be calling for her!? Will 2 chicks be ok alone together or will they be too lonely? Im considering getting some more chicks but it would be some time before i could introduce the two different groups. Anybody have any opinions?
Thanks in advance!

Sure, Here is an Idea. Get a pullet about same size as you have .. Actually get 2. It always seems to work best when you introduce new ones to your flock in multiples. This is what worked for me. The new ones will hang together initially, and in no time all will be happy together. Where do you get new grown chickens??? well join your state thread where you can contact peeps in your neck of the woods. LOL LOL. also check craigs list as well. 2 others are ebay classified and Offerup. Ebay does not allow live animals but ebay classified does.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Thanks this is definetly a great idea and honestly i didnt even consider it... LOL! There is a local farm here that sells chicks hens and roos at all ages this is where i originally got my chicks! Should i worry about the introduction by giving them a seperate area first? Or being the same size put them together and aee how it goes? Maybe i can introduce on neutral ground while free ranging? Again thanks for all the info!

They are still quite young. I don't think you will have bulling action. There is always a pecking order so do expect a little chasing. but I just see it as induced exercise. LOL LOL. I have added chickens all thru my chicken keeping time and never incurred much bad activity. I only keep hens. All different kinds and sizes. Look at my pix.
smile.png

They are only Pets.

Last edited:
Sounds great i will get ahold of the farm tomorrow in hopes to get 2 new girls! I also keep my hens as pets well that and my 2 yr old son loves eggs for breakfast. Im looking for a broody hen who lays good big eggs since i already have the 2 silkieXpolish ive heard they arent very broody hens
1f614.png
would love to give them some ferile eggs in a few months
263a.png

Cochins tend to be broody and excellent mother hens. The silkies are also great brooder talent. Yours are mixed so ???? You never know , just may happen. As to my cats. Well I rescue feral cats . Have them fixed and let them live full lives. Of course I feed them well. Here in Cook County there is a program called Trap and Release. It solves the cat overpopulation in a clever way. Before , they were euthanizing the animals and new ones were quickly filling in the vacancies. This trap n release works great. The cats are marked with an ear tip. The tip of the ear is cut off. It does not look bad at all. Animal control can readily recognize such a kitty and leave them alone. win win. At that stage, they are protected by law. Its all great.
Best wishes on finding some great chickens at the farm.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom