Lonely Duck

jayytee17

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Hey, ya’ll!

I need some info on how to handle a recent situation I had to deal with regarding my ducks.

Two summers ago, I purchased two ducklings from tractor supply. I raised them together in a run right next to my chickens. They were from a mixed batch but they are both female (they both lay eggs) and I believe they are an Indian Runner and possibly Welsh Harlequin cross.

A few days ago I noticed my one duck, Dolly, had this bloody mass coming out of her vent. Upon doing some research I discovered it was most likely a prolapsed oviduct. Unfortunately, Dolly passed before I could get her to the vet =(

That being said, my other duck, Loretta, is absolutely miserable. I do have another duck, a mallard, that is also a female that I rescued this summer as a duckling from a marina where my friends keep their boats. There were no other adult ducks or ducklings in sight and this cat was lurking around so I decided to take the duckling in. She is also a female due to the color of her feathers, and I just call her Little Duck.

I thought that since the two ducks still had each other despite the third one’s passing, that they would be ok. But Loretta quacks non stop day and night unless I’m with her. It breaks my heart. When I let them out of the run, Loretta just walks around as if she’s looking for Dolly, while Little Duck seems completely unphased and just eats or flies around.

Should I look into getting another duck? Loretta isn’t alone because she has Little Duck but I can tell she is either confused or misses Dolly. She constantly paces the run and I’ve tried giving her treats or things to keep her busy like a seed cake to peck or new things in their run to explore. I want to help her because it breaks my heart to think she’s just constantly looking for her buddy and I feel so helpless.

Let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Poor Loretta. She probably is looking for Dolly, which is sad. 3 of mine did the same thing when it started getting dark while Scooter was at the vet. Fortunately Scooter was released later that night.
You might try to find her another lady friend. I’d search petfinder, I see lonely ducks on there occasionally.
Perhaps with time she will get over Dolly.

Thank you guys so much! I did not think about pet finder, that's a good idea!
You’re welcome! 5 of my 7 duckies came from MSPCA’s Nevins Farm, https://m.facebook.com/mspcanevinsfarm/

They’ve got a small flock of Ancona there now. I was up that way for work yesterday. I had to resist stopping by, otherwise I would have had a truck full of ducks!

I love to rescue ducks..which is why I have so many..43.. and 7 more Muscovy tomorrow..but I have the room....anyway I agree, getting her a friend would be great. I have mallards..they are a bit stand.offish and stick to themselves....actually if it were me..I’d get a mallard for little duck and a hen for Loretta too...but then stop or you’ll be overrun! :) I have a local website that lists dogs..livestock..cars..furniture..etc..ducks are always under livestock..often free...many people realize the work and bail..:(

Back
Top Bottom